Allergy reaction admissions ON THE RISE: Numbers going to hospital jump by a THIRD
The number of people being admitted to hospital for allergy related illnesses and anaphylactic shock has rocketed by more than a third - 33 per cent - in the last five years.
Figures revealed by NHS Digital show there were 29,554 hospital admissions in 2015/2016 for allergic reactions, in comparison to 22,206 admissions in 2011/2012.
Experts believe the spike might have occurred because people's natural resistance to allergens - such as bacteria and dust - has been lowered.
Doctors said they think this could be due to rising levels of 'cleanliness' in people's homes and workplaces,... read more
- 13:00 Hotpoint fridge-freezer identified as cause of Grenfell Tower fire
- 12:59 Arsene Wenger ready to sell Arsenal star Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to...
- 12:59 Tick helping Rainbows off your bucket list
- 12:59 This is why you may have seen a police escort through Sheffield...
- 12:58 Why have our cars suddenly been covered in dust?
- 12:57 Large traveller group who "broke into land" in Anfield to be moved...
- 12:57 Fun, games - and butties!
- 12:57 TEN shootings in 23 days as gun thugs cause misery across Merseyside
- 12:57 Johnny Depp on Donald Trump: Crime or free speech?
- 12:57 Dani Alves praises Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola as agents...
- 12:56 Disruption on trains between Matlock and Belper
- 12:56 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:56 Watch: Miracle escape for motorists after car becomes wedged under...
- 12:56 QUICK QUIZ: The week in questions...
- 12:56 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:56 Wylfa Newydd can 'learn lessons' from report into 'risky and...
- 12:56 Alex Sandro to Chelsea: Juventus ace perfect fit, he's second best...
- 12:54 Man rushed to hospital after Lye town centre machete attack
- 12:54 Couple buy former hotel and pub building and plan to redevelop it
- 12:53 Yuri Drozdov: The man who turned Soviet spies into Americans
- 12:53 Germany quashes gay men's convictions and offers compensation
- 12:53 COMMENT: Our health service is wonderful
- 12:53 Important safety message from Derbyshire police
- 12:53 Young woman from Harrogate in hospital after Land Rover smash near...
- 12:52 Three people were taken to hospital after a crash involving two...
- 12:52 WATCH Amazing drone footage of former American Adventure theme park
- 12:52 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network
- 12:52 Ireland raises three billion euros from 'milestone' AIB sale
- 12:52 UK inflation expectations edge up only slightly in June - Citi/YouGov
- 12:52 Nemanja Matic agrees personal terms with Manchester United ahead of...