Alien microbes will be never be allowed to escape, scientists are told
Rock and ice samples brought back from Mars or Jupiter's moon Europa would be contained for ever if necessary, said Dr John Rummel, senior scientist at the Seti Institute in Mountain View, California.
Many experts are worried about the risk of Earth microbes contaminating other worlds during space exploration.
But there are also concerns about extraterrestrial bacteria or viruses accidentally picked up from the surface of other planets invading the Earth.
Such pathogens are likely to be hardy survivors, and human immune systems may be powerless against them.
Dr Rummel is taking part in a... read more
- 19:56 Coventry fans campaign for crying youngster to lead the Sky Blues...
- 19:54 Fire crews battling blaze at Brimham Rocks
- 19:51 Samantha Markle accuses Meghan’s mother of ‘cashing in’ on royal...
- 19:50 South Shields bomb tragedy couple’s families remember them in home...
- 19:50 Minister says fracking plans not designed to loosen regulations
- 19:48 New Sunderland owner says sacked Chris Coleman could return to club
- 19:48 Danny Cipriani could make his England comeback in full-back role
- 19:46 Meryl Streep and Oprah Winfrey among stars signing gender equality...
- 19:43 Alfreton mum “gobsmacked” by train failures after son’s lucky escape
- 19:43 In pictures: Heanor wrestling show bags £900 for anti-bullying charity
- 19:40 Man Utd have made ‘phone calls’ to Tottenham over huge summer...
- 19:35 Ireland abortion referendum goes down to the wire
- 19:26 MPs call for pet shop puppy sales ban
- 19:23 Grenfell inquiry opens to emotional testimony from survivors
- 19:23 Russian activity in City of London faces further scrutiny by MPs
- 19:23 Part of M20 to be used as lorry park to counter Brexit jams at Channel
- 19:17 Matlock student competes for Young Horticulturalist of the Year title
- 19:16 Darren Moore's West Brom to do list: The issues the new boss must...
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Why angry UK needed a royal wedding
- 19:11 Paris Gourtsoyannis: Indyref2 may be battle of ‘identitarian’ politics
- 19:10 Author Kate Mosse on returning to writing after a long hiatus
- 19:10 Forget two-week holidays and go for three-day adventures instead
- 19:09 Voters prefer Labor's tax plan, but two-party gap tightens –...
- 19:09 Barack and Michelle Obama to make films for Netflix
- 19:08 Man calls cops after being stalked by pig
- 19:08 Former Emmerdale star Lisa Riley reveals she's engaged to her "soul...
- 19:05 Jim Murphy: can the ‘Irn-Bru’ street fighter save Scottish Labour?
- 19:00 Family's frantic search for Romeo the talking parrot who flew off...
- 18:59 Desire can deliver Champions League dream for Liverpool, says...
- 18:58 Scarborough teenage hammer threat car robbers locked up for 11 years