ALEX BRUMMER: With the pound in a post-Brexit vote slump it's time for May to halt foreign bids
The Government should not take too long to decide how it intends to police overseas takeovers.
The more it prevaricates over one of the most specific pledges made by Theresa May on the Downing Street steps, the more vulnerable Britain becomes to assaults on technology, finance and the tax base of the economy.
The 17 per cent tumble in the pound, post-Brexit, has made the top FTSE 350 companies and beyond particularly susceptible to a hard currency bid from the US, Japan or China.
Britain's leader in the 'Internet of Things', ARM Holdings, fell into the hands of Japan's Softbank while the... read more
- 13:01 Who is standing for election in Blyth and Harworth division?
- 13:01 Who is standing for election in Misterton division?
- 13:00 Neil Taylor ban: Wales star handed two-match suspension for Seamus...
- 13:00 Man United injury news: These players will miss Manchester derby
- 12:59 Hungarian opposition struggles to build on anti-Orban sentiment
- 12:59 'Compassionate' people wanted for 40 care jobs to help people get...
- 12:59 Syrian refugees must buy travel papers - from Assad
- 12:58 Making efforts to break down the stigma around mental health means...
- 12:58 Who is standing for election in Retford East division?
- 12:58 Brass band looking for new home
- 12:58 Another £29k for 'youth zone'
- 12:57 Here’s the ‘I like Corbyn… but’ website Theresa May mentioned in PMQs
- 12:57 Home Office tells EU nationals not to apply for permanent UK residency
- 12:57 New bus depot café serves up a journey back in time
- 12:56 Man Utd ask James Rodriguez to do something unusual for transfer:...
- 12:56 HGV driver fined over tachograph
- 12:54 McDonald's offers all staff an end to zero-hours contracts
- 12:54 Liverpool 14-0 Establishment: How the Hillsborough Inquests verdict...
- 12:54 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:53 VIDEO: Heart-stopping moment driver-less car rolls into on-coming...
- 12:53 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:52 Spurs' boss Mauricio Pochettino reacts to Dele Alli Man City...
- 12:52 Gary Neville: This player should be Man United's next captain
- 12:51 Blurton death update: Paramedics found man, 63, unconscious at house
- 12:51 Charity Wellingborough to Rushden barrow push raises £600
- 12:51 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Hughes backing, skipper...
- 12:50 Hummus crisis? What hummus crisis?
- 12:50 Worker injured in South Yorkshire factory raid
- 12:50 Nuns invade Tad restaurant
- 12:48 East Kilbride keeper gets his wish as he faces old club Buckie in...