ALEX BRUMMER: With the pound in a post-Brexit vote slump it's time for May to halt foreign bids
The Government should not take too long to decide how it intends to police overseas takeovers.
The more it prevaricates over one of the most specific pledges made by Theresa May on the Downing Street steps, the more vulnerable Britain becomes to assaults on technology, finance and the tax base of the economy.
The 17 per cent tumble in the pound, post-Brexit, has made the top FTSE 350 companies and beyond particularly susceptible to a hard currency bid from the US, Japan or China.
Britain's leader in the 'Internet of Things', ARM Holdings, fell into the hands of Japan's Softbank while the... read more
- 21:14 Is Wonder Woman qualified to be a UN ambassador?
- 21:14 At least 53 dead after overloaded train derails in Cameroon
- 21:12 Wall Street ends flat; Microsoft rallies, healthcare falls
- 21:07 Scales of Justice: Harassment, criminal damage and assault
- 21:05 Former Royal Navy seaman jailed for exposing himself to women on buses
- 21:05 Watch Facebook pervert get snared by Dark Justice as he turn up to...
- 21:04 Chester's Northgate Arena shows it has solar flare
- 21:04 Walton Centre is named one of the best hospitals in the country
- 21:00 Toddler rushed to hospital with fractured skull after falling down...
- 20:59 Trafford Centre shoppers love 'John at The Orient' so much they...
- 20:58 Mòd set for Inverness in 2020 as it draws to a close in Western Isles
- 20:57 Speculators lift U.S. dollar bets to highest since late January...
- 20:52 U.N. appoints Wonder Woman as honorary ambassador amid outcry
- 20:44 Peru's wealthy president mocked for complaining about salary
- 20:42 PayPal says some customers unable to make payments due to cyber...
- 20:42 Aldi shoppers are warned to avoid Facebook voucher scam which could...
- 20:42 Two-wheel drive: China tech giants bet on 'Uber for bikes' in hunt...
- 20:42 New York governor approves new regulations on Airbnb
- 20:35 New signing frustrated at Arsenal: I expected more of a starring role
- 20:33 Cheeky eBay user wants you to make him a millionaire - by buying...
- 20:28 Men bailed after dog found buried alive near Redcar with nail...
- 20:26 Invest in farmers to curb migration to urban slums, cities told
- 20:25 Clash over festive trees
- 20:25 Snapped: Liverpool star attempts to beef up as he looks to get back...
- 20:25 Four fire engines sent out to incident in Stone Lane, Chesterfield
- 20:24 Mexico missing students: Ex-police chief in Iguala arrested
- 20:22 Man United injury woes: Ace set for lengthy stint on the sidelines
- 20:22 Kyle Edmund defeats Andreas Seppi to clinch semi-final spot
- 20:21 PPG is bringing the colour back to the Batley and Birstall community
- 20:19 Liverpool star Roberto Firmino has new celebration planned for West...