ALEX BRUMMER: Sterling under Brexit cosh as Theresa May's pledge sends it into freefall
The Prime Minister has been given a crash lesson this week on the workings of financial markets.
By pledging to the Conservative Party conference that Article 50 would be invoked in March next year, she in effect kicked away the superstructure that has prevented the pound going into freefall.
Pre-Brexit sterling stood at $1.50 and in recent weeks, as strong economic numbers demonstrated that Britain was far away from recession, the dollar value settled at above $1.30.
Mrs May has provided some certainty to Brexiteers about her determination to get a new deal for Britain, but provided the... read more
- 14:06 U.S. STOCK INDEX FUTURES EXTEND LOSSES, DOW JONES FUTURES AND S&P...
- 14:06 Gordon Anglesea GUILTY of sexually abusing boys
- 14:06 EXCLUSIVE 'I feel sorry for them': MIC's Louise Thompson reveals...
- 14:06 EXCLUSIVE: Pete Wicks' sexting partner Jacqui Ryland received DEATH...
- 14:06 This Sheffield bungalow has a guide price of £260,000 to £270,000
- 14:06 Dearne kids reconnect with nature through arts project
- 14:05 We’re backing the Grantham BID
- 14:04 Heather Wheeler: Variety of events in South Derbyshire never fails...
- 14:04 Childer Thornton £2m equine therapy centre to benefit people with...
- 14:04 Mirfield councillors have hit out over proposals to build hundreds...
- 14:03 Flammable fancy dress Hallowe’en warning is issued
- 14:03 Jus-Rol factory to be bought by bakery
- 14:03 Pools FA Cup clash switched
- 14:02 Gordon Anglesea: Former police chief guilty of child sex abuse
- 14:01 Carer who fought ISIS has restrictions lifted by police
- 14:01 Stock futures dip as investors assess earnings
- 14:01 Antonio Conte confirms major Chelsea boost: Key man fit to face...
- 14:01 Kevin de Bruyne questions Pep Guardiola's tactics after Barcelona loss
- 14:00 Rugby stars make up guard of honour for Anthony Foley funeral
- 13:59 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte basically confirms John Terry is ready...
- 13:58 Referee Howard Webb reveals former Coventry City striker Craig...
- 13:58 £52K upgrade to Featherstone gas distribution network
- 13:58 Half of British drivers set to hit the road for half-term
- 13:58 Shortlist announced for North East tourism awards
- 13:58 Muslim woman beaten up and threatened with death by family over...
- 13:57 Now KitKat prices may rise due to a weakening pound – cheers Brexit
- 13:56 Port Vale sign former Newcastle United, Hull City and Wigan player...
- 13:56 Firm slammed 'for wrongly stopping tax credit payments'
- 13:55 Christopher Magee said he would do a 'Philpotts' on woman he tried...
- 13:55 Dele Alli like a wild horse, says Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino