ALEX BRUMMER: Deutsche Bank is not Lehman Brothers but it's sliding share price cannot be ignored
Let's be clear. Deutsche Bank is not Lehman Brothers, the American investment bank that triggered the financial crisis eight years ago.
The US company was an over-borrowed investment firm with very little in the way of capital and solid deposits. Germany's leading bank has reasonably solid assets of €200billion but is short on capital.
What cannot be ignored is the long and speeding slide in the share price and, as significantly, safety net bonds known as CoCos.
Investors are plainly losing confidence in the ability of these bonds to protect them in a crisis as they are now trading weakly... read more
- 15:07 Egg company takes environment award
- 15:06 Jolene believes to achieve at Euros
- 15:06 Great white shark ‘is seen hunting in British waters for the first...
- 15:06 Baby was born so premature her eyes were still fused shut
- 15:05 Antonio Conte's transfer wish list: Chelsea boss wants Tiemoue...
- 15:05 Adam Armstrong to be loaned out by Newcastle United again
- 15:05 Real Madrid may want Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez if Cristiano Ronaldo...
- 15:05 Nemanja Matic to Man Utd: Why the Chelsea star is the perfect man...
- 15:05 Serena Williams looks magnificent as she poses naked for iconic...
- 15:04 Berwick Labour confident after improved showing on June 8
- 15:04 Funding boost for the arts in Northumberland
- 15:03 Funding boost for the arts in Northumberland
- 15:03 Take a trip back to the year you were born
- 15:02 Man and woman arrested after report of intruders inside house
- 15:01 What is listeria monocytogenes and what are the symptoms?
- 15:01 When do Burton Albion return for pre-season? All you need to know...
- 15:01 Ryanair CEO says keen on majority stake if decides to bid for Alitalia
- 15:01 Wimbledon 2017: Here's where you can play tennis in Burton and...
- 15:00 Weather warning for heavy rain and thunder in Oxfordshire issued by...
- 15:00 We’ll be taking a photo of this gorgeous dog’s fur to the hairdressers
- 14:59 Number of attack on South Yorkshire police officers doubles
- 14:59 Sheffield trophy row goes to appeal
- 14:59 Doncaster Big Brother winner becomes a mum - and shares photo of...
- 14:59 Death crash trial driver says horror will live with him forever
- 14:58 Wee Gers take on Killie Colts in Irn-Bru Cup
- 14:58 PICTURES: Belton Barrow Race 2017
- 14:57 Pervert snared after arranging to meet schoolgirl outside Greggs in...
- 14:56 Nicola Sturgeon ‘resets’ indyref2 plans
- 14:56 Jorge Mendes arrives at Spanish court to give evidence in tax fraud...
- 14:56 Leeds sign Spain youth international Madger Gomes after Liverpool...