Aitor Karanka solves the mystery of Stewart Downing: This is why he's playing well now
Downing returned home 15 months ago to inspire Boro to promotion and while the club achieved that aim, the ex-England winger struggled to scale the heights he’d reached during his first spell at the Riverside.
It left Boro boss Karanka scratching his head, but he now believes that despite Boro’s own stuttering form - which has seen them lose three games in a row, the 32-year-old is back to his best.
And he puts that down to the player relishing life back on the big stage.
“He was frustrated last season,” said Karanka. “Everybody was because he came here as a homegrown player and everyone... read more
- 14:01 Stock futures dip as investors assess earnings
- 14:01 Antonio Conte confirms major Chelsea boost: Key man fit to face...
- 14:01 Kevin de Bruyne questions Pep Guardiola's tactics after Barcelona loss
- 14:00 Rugby stars make up guard of honour for Anthony Foley funeral
- 13:59 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte basically confirms John Terry is ready...
- 13:58 Referee Howard Webb reveals former Coventry City striker Craig...
- 13:58 £52K upgrade to Featherstone gas distribution network
- 13:58 Half of British drivers set to hit the road for half-term
- 13:58 Shortlist announced for North East tourism awards
- 13:58 Muslim woman beaten up and threatened with death by family over...
- 13:57 Now KitKat prices may rise due to a weakening pound – cheers Brexit
- 13:56 Port Vale sign former Newcastle United, Hull City and Wigan player...
- 13:56 Firm slammed 'for wrongly stopping tax credit payments'
- 13:55 Christopher Magee said he would do a 'Philpotts' on woman he tried...
- 13:55 Dele Alli like a wild horse, says Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino
- 13:55 A590 and M6 roadworks for the coming week
- 13:53 Prior Park pupils look into the future
- 13:53 Rusty railings are revived along Spittal Promenade
- 13:52 WATCH: I'd swap my first Wrexham AFC goal if it meant FA Cup win...
- 13:52 Scottish Junior Cup preview: Who will still be involved after...
- 13:52 Celebrity singer Kevin Simm to perform on BBC Strictly's It Takes Two
- 13:52 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte speaks out on Jose Mourinho: He's the enemy
- 13:52 Hundreds of rare snow leopards are being killed every year in...
- 13:52 Brian May's Preston concert postponed
- 13:52 Zebra sharks born using artificial insemination could soon arrive...
- 13:51 Humphreys of Chester acquired by SDL Group
- 13:50 Aston Villa: Update on Steve Bruce's search for an assistant manager
- 13:49 That stunning ‘meteor’ above Wales was actually fake
- 13:49 Warning about doorstep security device salesmen in Bourne
- 13:49 When did compassion towards refugees become socially unacceptable?