Air pollution and vitamin D deficiency linked to dementia
Scientists compiled the list after reviewing dozens of studies investigating risk factors for Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia besides those linked to genetics, medical conditions and lifestyle.
Lack of vitamin D, air pollution, exposure to some types of pesticide, and excessive minerals in drinking water were all found to raise dementia risk.
However, experts stressed that the research had only shown associations rather than proven causes of the condition.
Lead scientist Dr Tom Russ, from the University of Edinburgh, said: "Our ultimate goal is to prevent or delay the onset of... read more
- 11:41 Pound V euro: GBP drops as UK wage squeeze bites into retail sales
- 11:41 MP backs wildlife charity campaign on river health
- 11:40 New Zealand's next prime minister aims for a more liberal path
- 11:40 Why Man City star Nicolas Otamendi has to take an exam
- 11:40 One Manchester United transfer caused Steven Gerrard to say 'Oh no!'
- 11:39 'I've played in nearly every position': Coventry's utility player...
- 11:39 Hartlepool sees rise in benefit claimants in the last month
- 11:39 Families and friends celebrate Amazon Doncaster’s new team
- 11:39 Bill Clinton holds talks with Theresa May about Northern Ireland
- 11:39 Reveller knocked out in unprovoked attack outside the Cube in Poulton
- 11:39 Man charged with criminal damage at pawn shop
- 11:39 Bionical and Anytime Fitness among sponsors backing 2017 Derby...
- 11:38 Shelley crash case now sent to coroner
- 11:38 Egremont scout group's fundraising night supports two charities
- 11:38 Withnell Fold group clean up green spaces
- 11:38 Members of Melton church celebrate £12,000 grant donation
- 11:37 Which Cumbria restaurant makes the UK's top 10 according to...
- 11:37 Wood fires fine hat-trick in impressive Liversedge win
- 11:36 Jose Mourinho to manage Arsenal? Man Utd boss told he is never...
- 11:36 Coton-in-the-Elms pre-school appeal to businesses to back its...
- 11:36 ‘Racist’ nursing textbook saying ‘Jews may be demanding’ pulled...
- 11:36 The ten most common illnesses this winter - and how to avoid them
- 11:36 Harvey Weinstein's brother Bob Weinstein accused of sexual harassment
- 11:36 Watch: Near-miss pile up on motorway as road rage revenge driver...
- 11:36 Aston Villa hero Paul Merson makes playing return at 49 - here's...
- 11:36 SEVEN injured in drive-by shooting in Stafford
- 11:35 Kenilworth residents can learn first aid for free after Lions...
- 11:35 Kenilworth Ladies make cup progress
- 11:35 Man Utd News: Enrique to replace Mourinho claim, Bale snub for...
- 11:33 Hearts boss Craig Levein admits Jambos have a plan B in case...