Aid groups in Philippines ready food, shelter to respond to super typhoon
JAKARTA (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Aid agencies were on standby on Wednesday to respond to the strongest typhoon to threaten the Philippines in three years, which was due to make landfall later in the day with widespread damage expected.
Typhoon Haima has been labelled a category 5 storm on a scale of 1 to 5 by Tropical Storm Risk and could cause flooding, landslides and storm surges of up to five metres (16.5 ft), the weather bureau said.
The Philippine authorities have raised storm warning signals for the northern and eastern parts of main island of Luzon, and ordered evacuation with... read more
- 14:19 Winding pathways and tranquil spots and other Neighbourhood News
- 14:19 Spain struggling to deal with escalating migration crisis
- 14:19 Ethiopia to release British man held in death row since 2014
- 14:17 Damage caused as burglars target Bijou nightclub in Bingley
- 14:14 Tempting aromas of fine artisan food and drink draws in the crowds...
- 14:14 Elina Svitolina reveals improvement plan after first-round French...
- 14:12 Nabil Fekir: Liverpool transfer update issued by Lyon star on...
- 14:09 F1 LIVE: Monaco Grand Prix
- 14:08 Police 'concerned' about man missing from Wigan
- 14:07 PNE retro game - when North End hit Chesterfield for six
- 14:06 Bangladesh anti-drug operation leads to dozens of deaths
- 14:04 First-ever ‘Drive It Day’ for car club and other Neighbourhood News
- 14:03 9 reasons why Bath is the best place to live
- 14:01 'Life is precious': Donegal quietly defiant after voting no in...
- 14:01 Joshua Holt, American jailed in Venezuela for two years, released
- 13:59 Liverpool player ratings for the entire 2017/18 season: Who wowed...
- 13:57 Nick Kyrgios withdraws from the French Open
- 13:55 Police alerted by firefighters about a suspected incident of arson
- 13:55 Police are appealing for help to trace a missing teenager
- 13:55 Real Madrid star ‘says no’ to Liverpool transfer after Champions...
- 13:53 Chennai Super Kings v Sunrisers Hyderabad: IPL final 2018 – live!
- 13:51 Theresa May to oppose vote on Northern Ireland abortion law
- 13:51 'Life is precious': Donegal quietly defiant after voting no in...
- 13:47 Theresa May to oppose vote on Northern Ireland abortion law
- 13:47 Ethiopia pardons abducted Briton on death row
- 13:46 Flights disrupted after lightning strike at busy airport
- 13:45 Flights disrupted after lightning strike at busy airport
- 13:44 Liverpool will NOT let Mohamed Salah play in World Cup: Stunning...
- 13:44 UFC Liverpool: Darren Till weighs in at 187.3lbs to save fight vs...
- 13:41 Mysterious toxic tropical fish wash up on the English coast