Ahead of their time: An ancient group in Africa used heat to create sharper tools 70,000 years ago
We might imagine cave men crudely making tools out of rocks, but Middle Stone Age man might in fact have been an innovative artisan.
New evidence suggests some early humans placed rocks into hot embers before shaping them into blades in order to make them harder and more precise.
This clever tool-making technique may explain why one group in southern Africa was so successful around 70,000 years ago.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF HEATING STONE? The advantages of heat treating the silcrete rock were many.
It facilitates knapping - chipping of pieces of stone by striking it - because it reduces... read more
- 08:59 Men receive a whopping £29,000 more than women in retirement over...
- 08:59 Will this be the Knightsbridge of Ireland? We take a look around...
- 08:58 David Beckham aims subtle dig at Arsene Wenger critics in class...
- 08:57 Delays after van fire on the M6
- 08:57 Brave girl's kiss for dying mum days before she lost cancer battle...
- 08:57 'My kids!' Single mum's heartbreaking screams as she watched home...
- 08:56 'Surely it can't happen'? Coventry City fans are dreaming and...
- 08:53 London Marathon could be biggest ever despite heat worries
- 08:53 Arsène Wenger changed the face of English football. It was all him
- 08:52 Jazz festival returns to northern Lincolnshire
- 08:51 Man arrested for ‘breaking into Taylor Swift’s home and sleeping in...
- 08:46 Club relaunch hopes to curb village woes
- 08:39 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:37 Cornelly United: Games to go ahead 'for our injured lads'
- 08:35 Scotch whisky is our liquid ambassador
- 08:35 Food blog: Brodie Williams
- 08:35 Treatise on cow-pox put physician John Ring’s career at stake
- 08:35 Desert Island Chef: Paul Newman of Thyme at Errichel
- 08:35 The Fisherman’s Tavern, Broughty Ferry (37/50)
- 08:35 More than 60 people helped Northampton woman when dog Bertie went...
- 08:35 Food blog: Kat Riach
- 08:35 Keeping the social side of cycling in motion
- 08:35 A den and a ditty, close to the city
- 08:33 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte aims fresh dig at Manchester United...
- 08:28 Arsene Wenger: Arsenal chief could join Everton this summer
- 08:28 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:28 Sheffield DJ speaks out over suicidal feelings before undergoing...
- 08:27 Donald Trump’s long-awaited visit to UK could happen this July
- 08:25 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:23 Protest being organised over the Ashington Hole