'Again we have been betrayed' - Scunthorpe steel union chief's anger at French submarine deal
THE government was today accused of missing out an opportunity to re-open the moth-balled plate mill in Scunthorpe by awarding a multi-million pound contract to the French.
Paul McBean, the chairman of the Scunthorpe works multi-union committee, led the out-cry as work started today (October 5) on building Britain's new fleet of nuclear submarines at a cost of £41 billion.
It has been disclosed a French firm has won the contract to supply steel for the hulls of the four subs known as Successor.
Mr McBean said: "This is a real kick in the teeth for steelworkers in Scunthorpe and the... read more
- 08:28 Manchester terror attack: Major fundraising appeal for family of...
- 08:27 Philipe Coutinho to Barcelona: Liverpool star urged to join Neymar...
- 08:27 Police probing Manchester bombing raid St Helens property: updates
- 08:26 Halifax gunman jailed after innocent victims shot in the head...
- 08:26 Drugged-up robber jailed for Halifax attack on terrified schoolboy
- 08:26 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Calderdale pharmacies
- 08:26 Hit-and-run biker injured seven-year-old girl in Bradford
- 08:25 Get your gladrags on, Whitby’s White Lily Ball is coming!
- 08:25 WIN a three-course meal for two at top Whitby restaurant
- 08:25 Restaurant Group reports slip in sales
- 08:25 Colonel Kemp backs controversial deportation proposal: 'What's the...
- 08:24 Handing over the handlebars at cycle shop
- 08:24 Latest court reports from Kirklees Magistrates
- 08:24 Chief executive to leave Northumberland County Council
- 08:24 Burnley chairman Mike Garlick admits his club faces a battle to...
- 08:23 Council takes steps to get coach drivers using new facility
- 08:23 Town councillor criticises mayor for ditching civic party
- 08:23 Up to 5,000 troops ready to deploy as UK remains on 'critical'...
- 08:23 Paxton House set to celebrate anniversary
- 08:23 Tories' lead over Labour narrows in first poll since Manchester...
- 08:23 Sheffield hit-and-run driver in 'dark car' sought after knocking...
- 08:23 Go Outdoors to hold family fun day
- 08:23 China stocks end week higher, state-led buying offsets Moody's...
- 08:23 Road closed in Tutbury due to an accident involving one car
- 08:22 Engelbert Humperdinck new LP riding high in album charts
- 08:22 Michael Watson: Time to invest in making society better
- 08:21 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Leeds pharmacies
- 08:21 Former school pays respects to Hartlepool mum killed in Manchester...
- 08:21 Meet the 'butterfly' baby: 11-month-old boy has skin so fragile...
- 08:21 MSPs have ‘no confidence’ in Scottish Police Authority chairman