Afghanistan calls temporary Eid ceasefire with Taliban
The Afghan government has announced a temporary ceasefire with the Taliban but says fighting with other militants will continue.
President Ashraf Ghani said the ceasefire would coincide with the end of the Ramadan fasting month, Eid. The Taliban have yet to respond.
Last week they denied they were in secret talks with Afghan officials.
Tens of thousands of Afghans have been killed since US-led troops drove the Taliban from power in 2001.
Foreign combat forces withdrew in 2014. Since then the Taliban have extended their influence over swathes of the country, and areas previously taken from... read more
- 08:49 The crime matters column with Superintendent Paula Booth
- 08:49 How did some of cinema's greatest films end up in an Iowa shed?
- 08:47 Arsenal in transfer battle with AC Milan and Marseille for Mexico...
- 08:47 Sunderland councillor in bookies odds to become next Liberal...
- 08:46 ‘Young people need to learn to speak out about problems’
- 08:46 'I hid baby's body in rucksack in wardrobe for 14 years', mum tells...
- 08:43 Ray turns out to play rugby league at 67 and backs our Doncaster...
- 08:42 Lucy hoping her message will ring out
- 08:42 Leyland nurse's plea after M65 crash leaves motorcyclist seriously...
- 08:42 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:42 Star Wars craft lands in Leeds family’s back garden
- 08:41 Schools need time to prepare learners for the real world
- 08:41 Students bring Oklahoma to The Spa
- 08:37 NHS Borders reduces its agency staff costs
- 08:37 Dundee looking for a ‘few more pieces of the puzzle’
- 08:37 School sees red over boys’antic
- 08:35 Gossip: Liverpool linked with Lazio keeper?
- 08:35 Now THAT'S a man cave! Inside the 65ft-deep underground world dug...
- 08:34 Foundry Wood to celebrate fifth birthday
- 08:33 Bitcoin price LIVE: BTC tumbles 'nothing preventing $2500 from...
- 08:31 Lincolnshire police chief reveals force ignored rural crime as it...
- 08:30 Hospital where hundreds died after being given strong painkillers...
- 08:29 Deported Lancaster man to be returned to UK after appeal success
- 08:29 Creativity is key to success for UCLan ‘15’
- 08:27 Man, 22, charged with murdering US rapper XXXTentacion
- 08:27 Argentina fans act like sore losers after team is thrashed by...
- 08:26 Funding approved for parking plans
- 08:25 England crush Australia and now aim to secure ODI series whitewash
- 08:25 Celestial Motion: a virtual dance with the stars
- 08:25 Man Utd transfer news: could Jordi Alba join Fred at Old Trafford?