Afghan Taliban fighters press advance on Helmand capital
Taliban fighters have advanced closer to Lashkar Gah, capital of the strategic southern province of Helmand, pushing into a farming district on the other side of the river from the town, officials said on Saturday.
Though the Western-backed government in Kabul pushed the insurgents back with the aid of U.S. airstrikes in August, it is struggling to reverse the tide of the fighting.
Capturing the city would give the Taliban their first provincial capital since the northern city of Kunduz fell briefly a year ago and would reinforce the impression that government forces are losing momentum in... read more
- 09:09 HARLEQUIN INVASION: Smelly STD-riddled ladybirds from Asia are COMING
- 09:09 Country & Coast: Garden watch gives meagre mammal count of just ten
- 09:09 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Aberdeen would have folded against Hibs in the past but we are so...
- 09:08 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 09:08 Stalker is spared from jail after making victim’s life hell
- 09:08 South Shields’ The Word wins four gongs at building awards
- 09:08 Dana White admits he gives Conor McGregor a lot more leeway than...
- 09:08 South Shields ‘run face’ man delighted after marathon effort
- 09:07 Doncaster football legend Kevin Keegan awarded damages after...
- 09:07 Root relishes challenge of aiding Yorkshire’s pursuit of one-day glory
- 09:06 Volunteers urged to help clean up Durham Heritage Coast
- 09:06 Arsenal face competition from four clubs for Alexandre...
- 09:06 Madeleine McCann disappearance: Detectives still pursuing...
- 09:06 Hartlepool United’s new boss is confident: 100%
- 09:06 The Odd Couple takes centre stage
- 09:05 Firefighters tackle bedroom fire in Doncaster
- 09:05 Real Madrid star's wife makes huge transfer revelation: He wants to...
- 09:05 Facebook baby killing: Grief and questions after shocking murder
- 09:05 Campaigners tell politicians: Get off the fence over Rainford’s...
- 09:04 Huge Kylian Mbappe update: Club to make £85m bid for Monaco star
- 09:04 Man accused of tying up Gainsborough OAP charged with four more...
- 09:04 Two teenagers arrested after fight outside Nottingham Academy
- 09:04 Bassetlaw prepares to welcome stage of the OVO Energy Tour of Britain
- 09:03 Blackpool: From the courts 26-04-17
- 09:03 Airport duty free more expensive than supermarkets, new study finds
- 09:03 Taxis in South Tyneside spark row after parking in disabled bays
- 09:02 Last-gasp winner shows Dundee United are up for promotion fight,...
- 09:02 St Johnstone want to make their mark in Europe
- 09:03 Train strike to go ahead after talks fail