Adverts banned for portraying beggars as 'disingenuous and undeserving'
Four Nottingham City Council posters urging people not to give money to beggars have been banned for being likely to cause widespread offence and reinforcing negative stereotypes.
One of the posters, seen in May and June, showed a person smoking a roll-up cigarette and said: "Begging: Watch your money go up in smoke. Begging funds the misuse of drugs # givesmart", and a second showed a homeless man in a sleeping bag with the warning: "Watch your money to go a fraud. Beggars aren't what they seem."
Two more said begging "funds the misuse of alcohol" and:... read more
- 08:33 For your fertility's sake, keep just five close friends! Close knit...
- 08:32 Special school launches fundraising for therapy room
- 08:32 Quit smoking or lose your leg, grandad told
- 08:32 Cyclist dies after collision in Sunderland
- 08:32 Manchester United want to sign two world-class superstars this summer
- 08:32 Manchester United named the most expensive bench in FA Cup history...
- 08:32 Stronger growth to help UK beat 2016/17 budget target - EY ITEM Club
- 08:32 Hong Kong stocks end at 18-month high, track mainland strength
- 08:32 Scooter riding teenager dies in collision
- 08:31 Councillors want to find out more before deciding whether to back...
- 08:31 £150,000 raised for man who spends life caring for terminally...
- 08:31 Baby & Toddler Of The Year: Send your entries now!
- 08:31 Teenagers threw stones at dog walker in Workington
- 08:31 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:31 WW3 fears as relations COLLAPSE between Malaysia and North Korea...
- 08:31 Adolf Hitler’s telephone used to issue orders in WW2 sells at...
- 08:29 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:28 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:28 Greece needs "far less" money than agreed in third bailout - ESM head
- 08:28 Chelsea ace Cesc Fabregas ends exit rumours following Wolves clash
- 08:28 Marseille line up shock move for Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud
- 08:28 JeSuisIKEA: Donald Trump's bizarre Sweden 'terror' reference sparks...
- 08:26 Chelsea ace speaks out on being benched by Antonio Conte
- 08:26 Chancellor Philip Hammond’s Budget boost on economy
- 08:26 Fake apartment turns turns dream holiday into nightmare
- 08:25 Police 'very concerned' for missing east Hull boy Cory Davies, 10
- 08:24 Could Post Office move to empty South Shields town centre site?
- 08:22 RBS shares up 5 pct on alternative plan to Williams & Glyn sale
- 08:22 Sherlock tops international poll of most popular BBC characters
- 08:21 Kirsty Gunn: We may be proud Scots but that does not mean we really...