ADT prostate cancer treatment can double chances of dementia, says study
Androgen Deprivation Therapy (ADT) shuts down the body's main supply of the male hormone and is a less drastic alternative to physical castration.
It is a standard treatment for men whose cancers have started to spread and cannot be eliminated by surgery or radiotherapy alone.
But a new study suggests there may be a serious hidden danger associated with ADT - an increased risk of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.
Scientists who analysed the health records of more than 9,000 patients found that when men were given ADT their chances of having dementia within five years doubled.
In... read more
- 16:16 Credit Suisse contacted analysts ahead of fourth quarter - sources
- 16:16 Renault-Nissan electric car sales hit 400,000, CEO says in Davos
- 16:15 Woman Who Awards 2017 to celebrate leading ladies in business
- 16:15 14,000 new homes planned for Nuneaton and MORE traveller sites
- 16:15 Naked female cleaners wanted for £45 an hour jobs
- 16:15 Man City make Spurs star their top summer target but face...
- 16:15 Four bikes stolen from Leamington
- 16:13 Watch: Wish you were here? Take a look at the history of holidays
- 16:13 Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic can rule at Reds for...
- 16:13 Ukrainian MPs demand probe into former pilot Savchenko, allege treason
- 16:13 Delaying clamping the umbilical cord by just 3 MINUTES reduces the...
- 16:13 Gynecologist slams Gwyneth Paltrow's 'vagina eggs' as 'dangerous'...
- 16:13 Why Lancashire County Council may be watching you
- 16:12 Lost dolphins spotted heading towards Milton Keynes
- 16:11 Sam Ricketts backs Russell Slade to steer Coventry City clear of...
- 16:11 Chelsea want Karim Benzema: Real Madrid striker is No.1 target to...
- 16:11 Kenedy hits back at Flamengo claims after Diego Costa’s comment on...
- 16:10 Manchester United's run of televised FA Cup games moves onto 56...
- 16:10 GCHQ seeks teenage girls to join cyber security fight
- 16:10 Barcelona legend Rivaldo hangs out with Lionel Messi, Neymar and...
- 16:10 Football child abuse scandal: Number of claims tops 1,000
- 16:09 Berwick set to mark the 50th anniversary of ‘greatest day’
- 16:09 Proof needed of taxi drivers’ right to work
- 16:09 Abandoned vehicle causing delays on M1
- 16:08 Stocks, dollar steady after Trump-led dip
- 16:08 Israel deploys "Star Wars" missile killer system
- 16:07 West Bridgford house once home to a Dambusters hero on sale for...
- 16:07 Delays to tram services after incident in The Meadows
- 16:07 15 year jail sentence forSt Ann's who raped child
- 16:07 City pub will soon be home to Nottingham's only vintage analogue...