Addiction to smartphones in teenagers can lead to an imbalance in brain chemistry that triggers depression and anxiety
With the average age for a child to get their first phone now just 10, young people are becoming more and more reliant on their smartphones.
And a worrying new study suggests that this dependence on the technology could even be affecting some teens' brains.
The findings reveals that teenagers who are addicted to their smartphones are more likely to suffer from mental disorders, including depression and anxiety.
Scroll down for video
THE STUDY The researchers took brain scans of 19 young people diagnosed with internet or smartphone addiction, and compared them to 19 healthy controls.... read more
- 16:04 Inspirational film about Whitnash man’s cancer battle shows the...
- 16:04 Community rallying to help children's football club in Southam...
- 16:03 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 16:03 Riverside development will "transform" Castleford
- 16:02 Longridge's Palace Cinema opens bigger and better than ever before...
- 16:02 Man Utd transfer news: Cristiano Ronaldo has Real Madrid 'mission'...
- 16:01 Riverside development will "transform" Castleford
- 16:01 Boy, 14, sent home from school because ‘his haircut violated...
- 16:01 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 16:00 Public Health England warns of measles outbreak at music festivals
- 15:59 Bouncebackability: a word coined for the play-offs that fits them...
- 15:59 Arsenal in talks with defender Stephan Lichtsteiner over free transfer
- 15:57 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:57 National award for Kettering teacher
- 15:56 Liverpool’s best Champions League final chant REVEALED – as chosen...
- 15:56 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 15:55 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:54 World champion boxer Robin Reid takes to the ring with young Daniel...
- 15:53 Cow’s burps could become less damaging if we feed them seaweed
- 15:53 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:53 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 15:53 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:52 Liverpool star James Milner is BETTER than Cristiano Ronaldo – new...
- 15:52 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:52 RSC confirms David Walliams and Robbie Williams collaboration
- 15:52 Stratford skipper Whelan eyeing title challenge
- 15:51 Thunderstorms: What causes this extreme weather phenomena and can...
- 15:51 New gin bar and real ale pub on the way?
- 15:51 Scotland school clothing grant of £100 to relieve family pressure
- 15:51 Boy arrested over stabbing death of Sheffield teenager