Ada Lovelace Day: Why we celebrate the life of a 19th century mathematician
October 11 marks Ada Lovelace Day.
The day is significant in the North East and we looked at the reasons why we celebrate the life of the 19th century mathematician.
Who was Ada Lovelace and what is her link to the North East? Her mother Anne Isabella Milbanke was born at Elemore Hall, Pittington, Durham , in 1792. Her dad was the legendary romantic poet Lord Byron.
How did the pair meet? Byron met her on the social scene in London and was instantly smitten, even proposing to her. But, such was his reputation as a philanderer, she initially resisted his advances. Then on a visit to the... read more
- 04:23 Sign of labour? THIS is the time of day most babies are born
- 04:19 Marcel and Gabby are the latest Love Island couple into the...
- 04:15 Nintendo Games news reveals another great combination between Sega...
- 04:07 Primary school lands Northumbie
- 04:00 Romelu Lukaku hits back at angry Everton fans over Chelsea...
- 03:58 Scheme to limit commercial bins on city streets launched
- 03:55 Preparations underway for annual village carnival
- 03:54 Japan's Abe to push for constitution reform before year end - media
- 03:49 Albanians vote in crucial test for EU membership hopes
- 03:49 Hopes fading in China for 118 still missing day after landslide
- 03:43 Five ways politicians can win over young voters
- 03:41 French President Macron, PM Philippe approval ratings rise - poll
- 03:33 The teenagers growing up with cancer
- 03:33 Cash for sick child's treatment stolen
- 03:13 $esc.html($content.name)
- 03:06 Event to help form Lincolnshire health strategy
- 03:02 James Gallagher stuns Madison Square Garden with first-round finish...
- 03:02 Manchester United aim to have Alvaro Morata transfer finalised...
- 02:40 Colombian police arrest eight in mall bombing probe
- 02:27 Bellator 180 Fight Card LIVE: Follow all the action and results...
- 02:15 Aberdeen ready to block any bids for star midfielder Kenny McLean...
- 02:07 Four titles Celtic won in Rangers' absence count for nothing,...
- 02:07 Jordan Spieth remains top dog at Travelers Championship as world No...
- 02:07 Frank Lampard believes tying Antonio Conte down to a new contract...
- 02:04 Argentina's former president Fernandez launches Senate bid
- 01:58 Italians vote in mayoral run-off that may spur the centre-right
- 01:51 Guatemala: Officials and police charged over girls shelter blaze
- 01:49 East Libyan forces claim control of central Benghazi neighbourhood
- 01:46 Chelsea ‘wary’ of Virgil van Dijk still wanting Liverpool transfer
- 01:46 Harry Aikines-Aryeetey claims victory in 100m final as Great...