Actor David Oyelowo calls for UK film diversity
British actor David Oyelowo has said he moved to the US because of the lack of opportunity for black actors in the UK.
Speaking at the BFI London Film Festival's Black Star Symposium, the Selma star issued a plea for a more diverse industry.
His comments came as British Film Institute research revealed that 59% of UK films in the last decade had no black actors in any role.
It also found that 13% of UK films had a black actor in a leading role.
Oyelowo, whose latest film A United Kingdom opened the BFI London Film Festival this week, said the only way to achieve diversity in the UK film... read more
- 18:14 Vauxhall drops FA home nations football sponsorship deals
- 18:14 Vue to screen exclusive new episodes of Peter Kay's Car Share this...
- 18:14 Kasabian star Chris Edwards hands over thousands to charity in...
- 18:13 How EU countries view Britain’s triggering of Article 50
- 18:13 Tunisian former PM Jomaa launches 'non-ideological' political party
- 18:13 France's Macron on course to win presidency - Elabe poll
- 18:13 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha will have the final say on his Scottish...
- 18:12 Circus trainer attacked by lions in terrifying video
- 18:10 Retired vicar to wed male model 54 years his junior
- 18:10 Schoolchildren donate flag after Union Jack stolen from Bomber...
- 18:10 Return of council’s big clean-up programme
- 18:09 Wirral community rocked as "best buddy" pays tribute to alleged...
- 18:09 Busy Cumbria road closed following bus crash
- 18:08 Weaverham plumber to run London Marathon in tribute to veteran...
- 18:08 Ex-Corrie star from Cuddington lands role in Hollyoaks
- 18:08 Head teacher in training for 32.6-mile walk to work
- 18:07 Paul Scholes: This is what I think of Manchester United’s top four...
- 18:07 Arsenal star Mesut Ozil makes shock transfer revelation: Manchester...
- 18:07 Formula 1 2017 schedule: When are the Grand Prix races? Latest...
- 18:06 Liverpool favourites to snap up Arsenal star
- 18:06 Nick Cushing: Carli Lloyd has taken Manchester City Women to...
- 18:05 See stunning new pictures of Birmingham's rapidly changing skyline
- 18:05 How Town Hall & Symphony Hall CEO has inspired staff to enter 10K
- 18:05 See inside Sutton Coldfield's chic new restaurant Bistrot Pierre
- 18:05 The one pound coins worth more money - some are worth up to £250
- 18:05 Revealed: These are the most common jobs in the West Midlands
- 18:05 See timelapse footage and aerial shots as work completes on New...
- 18:05 Exciting finds of Iron Age chariot and horse skeletons found at...
- 18:05 Luxury watch brand to open at Merry Hill
- 18:05 It's unfair for Hull City fans to boo West Ham's Robert Snodgrass...