Action plan to reverse declining numbers of Welsh speakers in Wrexham
Welsh speaking is in decline across Wrexham sparking council chiefs to draw up an action plan to reverse the trend.
Census figures showed in 2001, 18,102 people spoke Welsh across the county or 14.6%.
But the next 10 yearly census statistics in 2011 showed it had fallen to 16,659, or 12.9%. That’s a drop of 1,443 in a decade.
Today Wrexham County Borough Council ’s executive board discussed a wide ranging draft blueprint to revive the Welsh language across the area.
The local authority’s lead member for the Welsh language, Cllr Hugh Jones, said one of the main reasons was elderly people who... read more
- 10:00 Women in Business Awards 2017 - nominations now open
- 09:59 Deutsche Telekom CEO praises U.S. business amid merger rumours
- 09:59 Government needs to address Derbyshire police’s staffing issues
- 09:59 Four-year-old boy knocked down by Mini Cooper on Ponteland Road...
- 09:59 Nintendo is re-releasing the Super Nintendo with 21 classic games -...
- 09:58 Euro tumbles as Mario Draghi defends extreme policies of European...
- 09:58 Is Woody getting the chop? Blue singer Lee Ryan among various...
- 09:58 UK OIL FOUND: Firm finds 'significant' reservoir in Weald Basin and...
- 09:58 'She's my little miracle': Kym Marsh credits youngest daughter...
- 09:58 Garstang school’s dance-a-thon to raise cash to fight child cruelty
- 09:57 Grenfell Tower fire: Estate residents call for thorough inquiry
- 09:57 Sturgeon to make statement on indyref2
- 09:56 Calls for cigarette-style warnings on sugary food to tackle...
- 09:56 Huge explosion and flames in area popular with Somali pirates
- 09:56 Unstable EU on the brink as inequality threatens to tear bloc...
- 09:56 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 09:56 Where and when was the first ATM, what does it stand for and who...
- 09:56 Garstang school’s dance-a-thon to raise cash to fight child cruelty
- 09:55 Firefighters tackle north east Derbyshire house blaze
- 09:55 Melton has fifth highest first test pass rate for learner drivers...
- 09:55 Doncaster Big Brother star faces boot again as ALL contestants put...
- 09:55 ‘Hole in the wall’ proving cash is still king on 50th birthday
- 09:54 Haverthwaite-based firm's MD to be made MBE
- 09:53 Warwick Rotary Club’s Thai Festival to return for 13th year
- 09:53 Executives urged to tap into the power of mindfulness
- 09:53 Arsenal face Besiktas competition for transfer of Barcelona’s...
- 09:52 Warwick Rotary Club’s Thai Festival to return for 13th year
- 09:52 Shoppers warned over Tesco voucher Facebook page tricking thousands...
- 09:52 FTSE stalls, Carpetright and Debenhams put UK consumer in spotlight
- 09:51 POUND LIVE: Pound pauses after DUP deal ahead of Queen's Speech vote