Aberdeen scientists find schizophrenia gene link
New evidence linking a previously misunderstood gene to mental illnesses could pave the way for new treatments, research suggests.
Aberdeen University scientists have discovered that a gene formerly associated with high blood pressure could increase the risk of neurodevelopmental disorders such as schozophrenia when it is defective.
The team were able to ‘switch off’ the ULK4 gene in the cells of a mouse brain, where these cells went on to produce others which appeared in the wrong places and communicated less with neighbouring nerve cells.
When the gene was ‘switched on’ these problems... read more
- 10:01 Families’ gifts are the new benchmark of love for Moulton Chapel’s...
- 10:01 Trader to be sentenced for selling Kodi TV boxes in North Yorkshire
- 10:01 Russia tells Trump: Take back nuclear weapons and STOP World War 3...
- 10:01 Approval for affordable homes for single people and couples in Peak...
- 10:01 South Yorkshire trio in court over burglary and vehicle theft
- 10:01 Czech election: Billionaire Andrej Babis poised to win
- 10:00 Where is Storm Brian and where in the UK will it hit? Mammoth waves...
- 10:00 Cheryl says she 'hated' being pregnant but baby Bear has given her...
- 09:59 Pupils get a lesson in what life is like behind bars
- 09:59 Travellers ‘not linked’ to rise in Brid burglaries
- 09:58 Nazi gets punched (and hugged) at white supremacist event
- 09:57 Earth: One Amazing Day, I Am Not A Witch and Jungle review: Which...
- 09:57 Albion REVIEW: Doctor Foster writer Mike Bartlett's magnificent new...
- 09:57 CCTV catches car vandal red-handed
- 09:56 The next hot health trend may be breast milk for grownups
- 09:56 Mumsnet suggests that saying you hate children is the same as...
- 09:56 Rio Ferdinand reveals the heartbreaking question he would have...
- 09:56 Warwick man’s livelihood put on hold by van fire
- 09:55 Parents are banned from shouting on the touchline in new football...
- 09:55 Calling all budding newshounds!
- 09:55 Storm Brian officially named as 'weather bomb' heads for North Wales
- 09:55 Trader to be sentenced for selling Kodi TV boxes in North Yorkshire
- 09:54 Javier Hernandez expected to be fit for West Ham’s clash with Brighton
- 09:54 Could Sephora's first UK store be coming to Nottingham?
- 09:54 Making a big difference to streets
- 09:54 South Yorkshire trio in court over burglary and vehicle theft
- 09:52 Sam Smith announces North East tour date
- 09:52 Street robber who struck weeks after earlier knife crime to be...
- 09:52 Record-breaking Gary to receive freedom of Copeland today
- 09:51 Example comes to Market Harborough