A Syrian refugee cleared by Newcastle court belonged to resettlement programme
The men cleared by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court were in the region after fleeing war-torn Syria.
One of the men was part of the Government’s Syrian Vulnerable Person Relocation (SVPR) scheme.
But what is the scheme? And how did members of the Syrian community come to be living in Newcastle ?
Are they refugees or asylum seekers? They are refugees granted refugee status before they come into the UK, not asylum seekers, who have been granted leave to stay and live in the UK while they await a decision on their case.
What rights have they got? Owen Humphreys/PA Wire Refugees, unlike asylum... read more
- 06:20 Bot out, Ukip tells Putin, as pro-Russia tweeters attack Paul Nuttall
- 06:20 Court ruling due on challenge to minimum income...
- 06:20 Shrewsbury boss fined £3,500 over danger hoverboards
- 06:19 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:18 'The EU will END' Terrified European chief fears Marine Le Pen...
- 06:15 Former Manchester United FC star criticises FOUR current players
- 06:15 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:12 Thousands of tiny plastic 'nurdles' washed up on Hartlepool beach
- 06:12 Top sponsors for Sunderland students event
- 06:12 Camera helps catch Wearside flytipper
- 06:12 Sunderland paedophile snared by Dark Justice
- 06:11 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:11 Anthony Martial: Why my form was better under Louis van Gaal than...
- 06:10 Plans go in for Sikh temple in Kettering
- 06:10 Independent coffee chain set for expansion with new branches in...
- 06:10 Corby teacher named in top 10 in the world
- 06:10 Teen’s death leaves village in shock
- 06:10 Section of A61 in Chesterfield shut for hours due to 'incident'
- 06:08 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 06:08 Vandals cause bus disruption across city
- 06:08 Cycle track arrest of most wanted Morecambe man
- 06:08 Philippine minister doubtful of China row resolution 'during our...
- 06:07 Nurse who slept on duty is suspended
- 06:08 German Social Democrats still hard on heels of Merkel's...
- 06:07 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:07 Woman threatened to 'petrol bomb' social services department in...
- 06:07 Blackpool: From the courts 22-02-17
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Gisela Stuart, Edgbaston
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Richard Burden, Northfield
- 06:04 Parliament Matters: Liam Byrne, Hodge Hill