A quarter of all public phone boxes are at risk of removal - check the list to see if yours is on
More than a quarter of public telephone boxes in the North East have been earmarked for removal.
British Telecom has launched a nationwide review of its payphones after revealing usage has declined by more than 90% in the last decade.
The telecommunications giant is proposing to remove 295 phone boxes from across the region.
If the plans go-ahead, it could see around 179 payphones scrapped in Northumberland.
A total of 31 phone boxes are at risk in Newcastle, 23 in North Tyneside, 13 in South Tyneside, 28 in Gateshead and 21 in Sunderland.
The move would leave 142 in Northumberland and 641... read more
- 15:56 Liverpool’s best Champions League final chant REVEALED – as chosen...
- 15:56 VIDEO: 'Somebody out there knows what happened' - Top cop issues...
- 15:55 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:54 World champion boxer Robin Reid takes to the ring with young Daniel...
- 15:53 Cow’s burps could become less damaging if we feed them seaweed
- 15:53 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:53 BREAKING NEWS: Person hit by train at Doncaster railway station
- 15:53 VIDEO: Decline in Puffin numbers on the Farnes
- 15:52 Liverpool star James Milner is BETTER than Cristiano Ronaldo – new...
- 15:52 Man accused of killing Sheffield toddler due back in court next week
- 15:52 RSC confirms David Walliams and Robbie Williams collaboration
- 15:52 Stratford skipper Whelan eyeing title challenge
- 15:51 Thunderstorms: What causes this extreme weather phenomena and can...
- 15:51 New gin bar and real ale pub on the way?
- 15:51 Scotland school clothing grant of £100 to relieve family pressure
- 15:51 Boy arrested over stabbing death of Sheffield teenager
- 15:50 Flood defences coming to Padiham
- 15:49 Taxi driver 'who rubbed groin' loses appeal to win back licence
- 15:49 Motorists face severe delays in Leeds city centre as police deal...
- 15:48 Young Americans are paying $600 to learn social skills. They should...
- 15:48 Our relationship with our 32-year-old daughter has broken down
- 15:48 Meghan Markle’s coat of arms revealed by Kensington Palace...
- 15:48 South Shields thug who beat up his girlfriend is spared jail after...
- 15:48 What and when is Trinity Sunday and how is it celebrated?
- 15:48 Marks and Spencer's 'everywoman' exposed as a high street myth
- 15:48 Martin Parr’s day at the Chelsea flower show – a photo essay
- 15:47 Brendan Ingle obituary
- 15:47 Leinster target Pro14 final win over Scarlets for Irish triple...
- 15:47 Public Health England warns of measles outbreak at music festivals
- 15:47 Donald Trump says North Korea summit could be back on