A pill to cure autism? Study identifies defect in sufferers' cells - that could be treated by existing medication
Scientists have discovered a defect in the cells of autism sufferers - and there are already two approved medications to combat it.
In 50 per cent of cases, autism stems from a genetic disorder called tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC).
Despite years of studies geared towards targeting TSC, it remains incurable.
However, new research by the Boston Children's Hospital suggests this condition could be caused by a defect in the way cells recycle their mitochondria (the cell's 'battery').
The scientists further showed that two existing classes of drugs counter the defect: the epilepsy drug... read more
- 14:34 Cumbria murderer 'was victim of miscarriage of justice'
- 14:34 Arsenal vs West Ham: Arsene Wenger issues Ramsey, Mustafi and...
- 14:34 RAF base on lockdown over ‘significant’ security incident
- 14:34 Manchester United sent Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford message...
- 14:33 Kettering rock pub re-opens under new management
- 14:31 Queensferry Crossing speed limit will increase from tomorrow
- 14:31 Backlash against jungle queen Toff as she rants about ‘bloody...
- 14:30 CCTV released in complex Skegness fraud case that targeted elderly
- 14:30 Parents killed in Haydock crash which injured their children named...
- 14:29 Mother drove at group of teenagers because her son was being bullied
- 14:28 How MONEY affects your happiness: Rich people are only content when...
- 14:28 Former BBC Sports Personality of the Year nominee Luke Donald...
- 14:28 Police appeal after collision between car and cyclist in Spalding
- 14:28 England can't keep arriving at a gunfight with an air rifle...
- 14:27 Gym workout plan: Do THIS type of exercise if you have been injured...
- 14:27 E-Fit image released of man wanted in connection with fake police...
- 14:26 Bassetlaw care home patient headbutted nurse
- 14:26 Chelsea expected XI: Antonio Conte to make major changes to 3-4-3...
- 14:26 Sutton grandad’s drink drive school-run
- 14:26 Mansfield man armed himself with kitchen knives to frighten ex
- 14:26 Business focus with co-founder of Happy Days Build
- 14:26 Warsop drink driver hit oncoming car
- 14:26 Mansfield man tried to get arrested to escape “attackers”
- 14:26 Harrogate Song for Christmas 2017: Moorside Junior School, Ripon
- 14:26 Kind-hearted strangers give HUGE donation to Wyatt Pitt, age nine,...
- 14:25 To Brexit or not? Where does Cumbria sit on latest EU claims?
- 14:25 Airport news: How to make sure YOUR suitcase is first at baggage claim
- 14:25 Business focus with co-founder of Happy Days Build
- 14:25 Manchester United use more than 50 scouts, however the manager has...
- 14:24 'Keep fighting' Lewis Hamilton praying for Michael Schumacher in...