A once-popular Newcastle cinema - but how does this location look today?
There was quite a queue outside Newcastle’s Essoldo cinema when our photograph was taken in 1947.
In the immediate aftermath of the trials and tribulations of World War II, people did their very best to get out and have a good time.
Countless thousands flocked to the pictures.
There was also a huge surge in attendances at football matches. Newcastle United’s average gate for the 1947-48 season - a whopping 56,283 - remained an English record for the next 20 years.
But it was the seven-day lure of the silver screen that was the real crowd-puller in an age before television and the internet.... read more
- 01:20 The Yorkshire Post says: A modest hero. 103-year-old poppy seller’s...
- 01:18 Met Police use more force against black people, figures suggest
- 01:17 New Zealand happy to forget the UK's 'betrayal'
- 01:17 Water resistant sunscreen claims ‘meaningless’, says Which?
- 01:15 Google 'stole my video', says film-maker Philip Bloom
- 01:12 F1 news: Lewis Hamilton gives Mercedes contract update ahead of...
- 01:12 World Cup 2018: Which of the 32 nations will have the biggest...
- 01:12 Arsenal transfer news: Sky Sports pundit on what Unai Emery must do...
- 01:12 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho slammed over treatment of THREE United...
- 01:06 Church of England offers prayers read by Amazon's Alexa
- 01:00 The Yorkshire Post says: A modest hero. 103-year-old poppy seller’s...
- 01:00 The Yorkshire Post says: Transparency test. Academies must reveal...
- 00:56 Sudoku 4068 hard
- 00:51 Edinburgh Tattoo set to go on the road overseas every year
- 00:48 Graham Richardson: Why Brexit could uproot success of Yorkshire...
- 00:48 Jayne Dowle: Why Meghan’s quiet revolution will make Royal history
- 00:39 EU split over exclusion of UK from Galileo after Brexit
- 00:33 Irish abortion referendum: The women travelling #HomeToVote
- 00:32 Teen arrested in Hertfordshire on suspicion of terrorism offences
- 00:30 Independent Scotland in line for £22bn breakaway bonanza, SNP...
- 00:29 MPs will vote on Brexit legislation in weeks so May can avoid...
- 00:26 NHS needs £2,000 in tax from every household to stay afloat – report
- 00:23 Buy a masterpiece for 65p! New stamps by Tracey Emin, Yinka...
- 00:19 Brexit deal cannot include return to hard border - Jeremy Corbyn
- 00:17 UK's new Sea Ceptor missile system enters into service
- 00:15 Lucy Bronze targets Champions League glory with Lyon in Kiev
- 00:13 Hundreds of schools have had no Ofsted inspection for a decade –...
- 00:10 Corbyn presses May to end Stormont deadlock in Northern Ireland
- 00:06 Alarming dive in Farnes puffin numbers
- 00:06 England World Cup squad: Jack Butland gutted by Joe Hart axing by...