A new species of extinct shark is discovered: Prehistoric predator is related to the 60ft Megalodon
A mysterious species of shark that lived 20 million years ago and was 12 feet (3.6 metres) long has managed to escape anyone's notice - until now.
Scientists discovered fossils belonging to the extinct species of shark in California, North Carolina, Peru and Japan.
This elusive species is an ancestor of the modern day great white and mako sharks.
THE ELUSIVE PREDATOR The scientists said it is unusual that such a large shark managed to evade our notice for so long.
'It's quite remarkable that such a large lamniform shark with such a global distribution had evaded recognition until now,... read more
- 00:05 Glasgow and Edinburgh worst offenders in food hygiene standards
- 00:05 Scots teachers subject to ‘vicious’ online abuse from parents
- 00:00 Smalling knock gives Gibson first England call
- 00:00 Essential essence of Loud Women in twenty-one terrific tracks
- 00:00 Searching for unity, home and abroad
- 00:00 Facing up to capitalist realities
- 00:00 City fined €18k for Champions League offences
- 00:00 Hockey chiefs turn to knobstick team
- 00:00 A new dawn after all this wait?
- 00:00 Gutenberg’s dubious legacy
- 00:00 The passing of Martin McGuinness
- 00:00 Martin McGuinness: The man and the contradiction
- 00:00 Solidarity with Venezuela
- 00:00 Ireland: Communists pay tribute to McGuinness
- 00:00 Brazil: Attorney-general calls for wider corruption probe
- 00:00 US: Nunes agrees to answer committee
- 00:00 Measly 1% NHS pay offer angers union
- 00:00 Scotland: Anti-racists to protest against neonazi march
- 00:01 Danny Houghton and Jake Connor injury updates after Hull FC beat...
- 00:00 1 million car industry jobs at risk
- 23:59 Lewis Hamilton scorches but F1 is crying out for a Ferrari revival...
- 23:59 England yobs in the dock over Martin McGuinness chant as footage...
- 23:59 Eric Dier reveals his relief after anxious phone call to his mum in...
- 23:59 Middlesbrough defender Ben Gibson is set for big move following his...
- 23:59 Ron Saunders the lost master: He won Aston Villa the title in 1981...
- 23:59 Manchester City break three anti-doping rules in the five months...
- 23:59 Michael O'Neill hoping for his Premier League chance after...
- 23:56 Harry Styles solo debut single: First review LEAKED - plus the...
- 23:51 Dogs CAN sniff out cancer: Study finds German Shepherds can detect...
- 23:51 The brain up close: Radical microscope reveals nerve synapses...