A mess of pottage? North of Tyne devolution criticised by professor
A university professor has criticised the proposed North of Tyne (NoT) devolution deal, saying only the thinnest of gruel is on offer.
The scathing piece has been written by John Tomaney, Professor of Urban and Regional Planning in the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London.
The devolution proposals for Northumberland, Newcastle and North Tyneside were announced last November and include unprecedented new powers and a £600million investment fund.
The deal is expected to generate £1.1billion for the local economy, create 10,000 new jobs and leverage £2.1billion in private... read more
- 06:14 Government was too slow to spot Carillion's trouble brewing – MPs
- 06:13 Double standards
- 06:13 The vulnerable need more protection
- 06:10 Man Utd star Juan Mata has classy message for Chelsea and fans...
- 06:09 Jack Catterall to cheer on Terry Flanagan ahead of potential world...
- 06:09 Preston boxer Amalie goes for European glory in Bulgaria
- 06:09 Three-year deal is Darnell Fisher’s reward for strong first season...
- 06:08 Study suggests Grammar school students unlikely to do better than...
- 06:05 Professor Brigid Daniel: Teachers are in a class of their own
- 06:05 Better nature – the community trust doing a power of good for locals
- 06:05 Ruth Davidson: Just ignore SNP’s latest indyref talk
- 06:05 Martyn McLaughlin: Don’t believe hype about gigs in your living room
- 06:05 Alistair Carmichael: Passport to visit kitchen? The absurdity of...
- 06:04 12 people reveal the weirdest things they’ve been asked to do in...
- 06:03 Philip Roth obituary
- 06:03 Kettering school to ban use of mobile phones
- 06:03 Let’s help change Kettering boy Elliot’s life
- 06:03 Customers thanked for ongoing support of annual fundraiser by...
- 06:02 Nicola Sturgeon to launch summer independence offensive
- 06:00 Nabil Fekir to Liverpool: Lyon president speaks out on potential...
- 05:59 The muck and magic of life at a Yorkshire racing stable
- 05:58 Jim Duffy comment: Blockchain resembles the old utility sell-offs
- 05:52 Rangers boss Steven Gerrard targeting FOUR Liverpool stars in...
- 05:48 'We hope children find the person behind the diagnosis'
- 05:48 Ron Cousins: The Bible pages murder still baffling police
- 05:48 Sajid Javid pledges he is 'standing with' police in first speech
- 05:48 Environment Agency warns of serious water deficits for England
- 05:44 Has Unai Emery just confirmed HIMSELF as Arsenal manager?
- 05:44 Arsenal incoming coach Unai Emery to make TWO stars key players in...
- 05:23 Plans for £100m Nobel Centre blocked by Swedish court