A high-fat diet can help you live longer - but carbohydrates linked to higher death risk
Eating fat in moderation can even help you live longer.
The research turns decades of conventional advice on its head. Diets loaded with carbs such as pasta, bread and rice were associated with a 28 per cent higher risk of death compared to low carbohydrate diets.
But high-fat diets were linked with a 23 per cent lower risk of death compared to low-fat diets.
The global study provides the clearest sign yet that you are what you eat, with experts saying “real foods” such as meat, cheese, eggs and fish provided a significant health boost.
Research on more than 135,000 people showed diets... read more
- 08:42 Enjoy a festive run-up to Christmas at Creswell Crags
- 08:42 Football team nets new kit deal
- 08:42 The Leeds foster carer who wants to bring back hope for children
- 08:41 Helping to clean up area of Ashington
- 08:41 Firm offers rental deal to veterans
- 08:41 Health chiefs raise awareness of regular HIV testing
- 08:39 'Arrogant' member of Ulverston social club fined for late-night pub...
- 08:39 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:35 50 years of hits from a TV station that really caught fire
- 08:34 Youngsters decorating baubles for community
- 08:34 Ryan Seacrest denies sexual misconduct allegations
- 08:31 Norham stages successful show
- 08:31 Rotary early birds to light up Berwick for Christmas-time
- 08:31 Northumbria Police praised for domestic abuse work
- 08:27 Loony Joons: Kung fu keeper can't take all the blame for the battle...
- 08:25 England bowlers toil on final warm-up day ahead of first Ashes Test...
- 08:24 Kezia Dugdale to appear on ‘I’m a Celebrity’
- 08:24 'Shame the low life scum': Watch Police car smashed with hammer
- 08:23 Manchester City team news for Leicester game will be a big pointer...
- 08:23 How Manchester United should line up vs Newcastle
- 08:20 Charity banks on generous help from Pat and her colleagues
- 08:11 Kirklees council leader confirms he will step down in 2019
- 08:10 Christmas events across Cumbria - take a look at our definitive guide
- 08:10 School funding campaigners hit streets in Cumbria today
- 08:09 EU and me: writers reminisce on their relationship with Europe
- 08:09 WEEKEND WEB: Free Press letters
- 08:08 Kim Kardashian’s surrogate didn’t know she was carrying Kimye’s baby
- 08:08 Wallsend charity planning its Christmas events
- 08:07 Cycling charity wants visitors to join the ride at the Piece Hall
- 08:07 Watch out drivers - mobile speed cameras can catch you out for more...