'A divisive, backward move' say Labour campaigners
FAILSWORTH MP and shadow education secretary Angela Rayner launched Labour's campaign against Tory plans to open new grammar schools, hailing Oldham's progressive attempts to improve school standards.
As the "Education Not Segregation" crusade swung into action on Labour's Educational National Campaign Action day on Saturday, Ms Rayner said selective schooling is "divisive" and "stigmatising".
However, Oldham Council education chiefs had the right idea on how to improve education in the borough, she added.
"There are many ways to improve standards in our... read more
- 11:48 Rupert Everett used prosthetic GENITALS to play Oscar Wilde: ‘I had...
- 11:47 Dashcam drive from Hessle to Hull Paragon Station...in 1996!
- 11:46 New Zealand make early inroads in third Test against South Africa...
- 11:46 Leicester midfielder Wilfred Ndidi wants to be his own man: 'I have...
- 11:46 Gianluigi Buffon joined an elite club by playing in the 1,000th...
- 11:47 Etchings that once sparked a royal row go on show
- 11:46 Luiz Felipe Scolari denies he will retire from coaching at the end...
- 11:46 Seamus Coleman will come back 'fitter and stronger' from horrific...
- 11:46 Daniel Ricciardo apologises to Red Bull after Australian GP...
- 11:46 Young boy spots 'Friendly Paedophile' following Weelsby Academy...
- 11:45 Former Blackpool officer will be county’s chief
- 11:45 Egyptian court suspends jail sentence against journalists
- 11:44 New car tax rules and TV licence fees to rise - new laws coming...
- 11:44 Bradley Lowery's excitement ahead of leading out England with 'best...
- 11:43 Battle for Mosul: Residents flee ahead of air strikes
- 11:42 Charities outline their work to club
- 11:42 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:38 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:38 Former Blackpool officer will be county’s chief
- 11:37 17-year-old amateur boxer dies after collapsing in ring
- 11:36 Blyth students enjoy a trip to New York
- 11:36 Shane Long: This is what Seamus Coleman was like on the field after...
- 11:34 Why I get mistaken for being drunk
- 11:34 The Great War in the voices of the people
- 11:34 Belford GP to retire in April after 35 years
- 11:34 The man taught to have sex by lesbians
- 11:34 Man carrying rifle in Crook street arrested
- 11:34 Remember: Clocks spring forward tonight
- 11:32 Traffic lights on A590 at Lindal still in place
- 11:32 Chocolate bars could get smaller after Brexit warns Cadbury