A display of digging
Hats off to Heaney SEAMUS HEANEY moved seamlessly through time, space and cultural worlds, or at least he made it appear that way. When, in 2013, the Irish poet was buried near his childhood home in the mid-Ulster village of Bellaghy, mourners ranged from senior Irish Republicans to British grandees, from rock stars and world-famous academics to local folk who were part of or knew his farming family. His poetry, too, was at once recondite and scholarly and deeply embedded in his home soil. Although he made bold new readings of Greek and Anglo-Saxon classics, his best-loved works speak of... read more
- 11:01 British man gets forehead tattoo saying ‘Taiwan’ in Chinese
- 11:01 Pedro Caixinha's Rangers record laid bare after latest setback
- 11:00 Strictly: Brian Conley complains about studio toilets as he leaves...
- 11:00 Harry and Meghan 'have afternoon tea with the queen' - sparking...
- 11:00 One hurt in horror crash
- 11:00 Fylde coast business group calls for online tax crackdown.
- 11:00 Dog's head stuck in wall in Cambridge
- 11:00 Council gets green light to spend £2.8m on buying empty BHS and...
- 10:59 War veteran to receive fitting send-off after public appeal
- 10:59 Strictly Mone Dancing as Baroness Michelle turns down £350k CBB...
- 10:59 Justin Timberlake to headline Super Bowl halftime show 14 years...
- 10:59 Two taken to hospital after car crash
- 10:58 Egypt disputes reported death toll from desert shoot-out
- 10:58 Motorcyclist suffers leg break after Kingstanding crash
- 10:58 Thirty firefighters tackle 1.15am blaze in Edward Road, Balsall Heath
- 10:57 Gunpowder review: 'Explosive stuff, but sometimes too nasty to watch'
- 10:57 Have you seen missing Sarah?
- 10:57 Sheffield staff help raise £40,000 for children’s hospital extension
- 10:57 Dry and mild with patchy rain
- 10:57 Sheffield Wednesday news: Carlton Palmer demands Carlos Carvalhal...
- 10:56 PICTURES: Redbrik Chesterfield Half Marathon 2017
- 10:56 Thirteen more storms set to hit Britain this winter
- 10:56 North East Chemists chain sold to Milton Keynes firm
- 10:55 Bank of America Merrill Lynch fined £35m by UK watchdog
- 10:55 Fylde coast bank staff in charity drive
- 10:55 Thousands call for use of metal detectors at Liverpool clubs after...
- 10:55 ‘Anxious’ Theresa May begged Jean-Claude Juncker for help at Brexit...
- 10:54 Police receive reports from residents 'terrorised' by hissing...
- 10:53 Thirteen more storms set to hit Britain this winter
- 10:53 North East Chemists chain sold to Milton Keynes firm