81 and not giving up anytime soon: One of Britain's oldest nurses reveals why she refuses to retire and her fears about the NHS becoming privatised
One of Britain's oldest nurses, who has worked in the profession for over 65 years, has spoken of her fears about the NHS becoming privatised.
Aileen Coomber, of Worthing, West Sussex, who became a nursing cadet in July 1951, registered as a nurse in January 1976 and has seen many changes throughout her career, and has no plans to retire, despite being 81.
Just 11 when the NHS was established on 5 July, 1948, what worries her the most is the threat of privatisation.
Aileen, who was named the Royal College of Nursing Institute bank nurse of the year in 2017, said: 'I feel quite sad that the... read more
- 12:42 Northumberland woman left pet puppy and kitten to die
- 12:42 Re-appeal to find woman who walked out of KGH
- 12:42 Craig David gives ship-stopping performance at launch of new Tui...
- 12:42 'I am glad we are playing Aston Villa' - what the Fulham fans are...
- 12:41 The show goes on - but not so much fun
- 12:41 A dog which attacked a man in the street has been spared from being...
- 12:40 This Midlands M&S store is set to close
- 12:40 A dog which attacked a man in the street has been spared from being...
- 12:40 M&S bosses look to close more than 100 stores - is Burton safe?
- 12:40 Welcome to impossible: The Golden Knights and the NHL miracle that...
- 12:40 First artists announced for Kenilworth Arts Festival
- 12:39 Gary Roberts could remain a Chester FC player for next season
- 12:39 Tragic story behind £350,000 electric Jaguar Prince Harry drove at...
- 12:39 11 things that everyone with irregular periods will relate to
- 12:38 Shock as 'funeral director' car given parking ticket at Carlisle...
- 12:38 More than one way to break into England one-day side insists Keaton...
- 12:37 YP Letters: These unelected Lords have no place in democratic society
- 12:37 Halifax farmer’s beloved possessions go up for auction
- 12:37 YP Letters: Region fials to profit from Tour de Yorkshire
- 12:36 M&S announce store closures across the country
- 12:36 Talented footballer, 20, dies in Amsterdam drowning tragedy
- 12:35 Former Nuneaton and Bedworth mayor's magnificent £33,000 civic...
- 12:35 M&S to close more than 100 stores as part of major restructure
- 12:34 Travel: Murrayshall House Hotel and Golf Courses, Scone
- 12:34 Edinburgh Castle named UK’s fourth best landmark in TripAdvisor awards
- 12:34 London traffic’s so bad that it’s quicker to walk and a bus is...
- 12:34 A dog which attacked a man in the street has been spared from being...
- 12:32 Chinese-Australian billionaire involved in UN bribery case, MP claims
- 12:33 Man arrested over murder of baby girl in Sheffield
- 12:32 Former police race adviser accused of racially abusing man in...