795 million people still go hungry every day, global index shows
More than three-quarters of a billion people are going hungry every day around the world , a damning report has warned.
The level of hunger in developing countries has fallen by almost one third since the turn of the century but people in 50 countries are suffering serious or alarming food crises or starvation this year, experts found.
The Global Hunger Index, released by Concern Worldwide, the US-based International Food Policy Research Institute and German aid organisation Welthungerhilfe revealed 795 million people were affected by hunger on a daily basis.
The Central African Republic,... read more
- 02:14 Thousands expected at Martin McGuinness's funeral in Londonderry
- 02:14 Detectives probe Westminster knifeman's terror rampage that left...
- 02:14 Post-Brexit vote fall in EU nationals working in UK 'driven...
- 02:14 Crime gangs exploiting corruption at European borders to smuggle...
- 02:14 Majority of women feel embarrassed breastfeeding in front of...
- 02:14 Balloon and sky lantern bans urged on councils by conservation group
- 02:04 Trump aide 'tried to hide' Russian payment
- 01:54 Drop in teacher training recruits revealed
- 01:50 Arsenal hero: Mesut Ozil should copy this Tottenham star
- 01:49 Trump sends holiday greetings to Iranians, does not mention travel ban
- 01:40 MPs honour the memory of PC Keith Palmer
- 01:37 Euro zone banks under scrutiny but none in danger watchdog says
- 01:37 Nicola Sturgeon says new independence referendum now “highly likely”
- 01:29 Kyle Edmund joins Dan Evans, Heather Watson and Aljaz Bedene as he...
- 01:27 Why is Spain in the middle of a spat between China and Taiwan?
- 01:25 Kabbage looks to raise money for acquisitions: sources
- 01:21 Is it safe to drink Fanta and Sprite in Nigeria?
- 01:19 England flanker Chris Robshaw returns for Harlequins as he aims to...
- 01:16 Warning over segregation in England's schools
- 01:16 Sinn Féin oppose any extension to Stormont talks deadline
- 01:16 Bill Clinton to attend Martin McGuinness' funeral
- 01:11 Star Wars updates: This is the CRAZIEST alternate Rogue One ending yet
- 01:09 Coronation Street spoilers: Phelan’s next victim? The killer...
- 01:09 Viewpoint: Life in the land of 'candle princesses'
- 01:09 Spain's female bodyguards who protect abused women
- 01:07 JAPAN'S NIKKEI SHARE AVERAGE FALLS TO 1-1/2 MONTH LOWS
- 01:06 我的家乡温岭曾经连红绿灯都没有，而如今已有140万人口
- 01:06 Oil bounces off November lows, but bloated U.S. stockpiles pressure...
- 01:06 Asia stocks advance, dollar, oil recover from multi-month lows
- 01:04 EU fears influx of 'British champagne' once Brexit ends food naming...