54% rise in unaccompanied asylum-seeking children being looked after in England
A total of 4,210 children claiming asylum in the UK were reported as being in the care of local authorities as of March 31 2016.
This was up 54% on the previous year, according to new figures from the Department for Education (DfE).
It is also the highest total since current records began in 2004.
Roughly nine in 10 of the children were male, while t hree in four were aged 16 or over.
The highest numbers were reported in areas where there are routes into the UK.
Some two-thirds of all unaccompanied asylum-seeking children were located in London and the South East, while a further 11% were... read more
- 07:09 Teaching 'weakest aspect' of education in Wales - Estyn
- 07:09 Top execs of Abu Dhabi's Etihad airline group to quit amid strategy...
- 07:08 Chester man's depraved killer must spend the rest of his life...
- 07:08 Tottenham key men reveal all on Man United transfer rumours: This...
- 07:08 Liverpool legend: Jurgen Klopp must make this tactical change at...
- 07:08 Talksport presenter: I heard this Man United transfer will happen
- 07:07 Woman survives chip pan blaze in Sheffield
- 07:07 Virgil van Dijk injury update: Southampton boss admits star man...
- 07:07 South Yorkshire Police search for missing man
- 07:07 Yellow warning for fog in Derby as Met Office cautions driving...
- 07:07 Breaking news: Burst water main on busy Derby road
- 07:05 Campaign to attract more teachers to Northamptonshire
- 07:04 Man United Transfer News: Chelsea to gazump £38m deal, winger...
- 07:02 Why much loved tree could be set for reprieve after all
- 06:58 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Tuesday January 24
- 06:58 Stan Wawrinka storms into Australian Open semi-finals after fiery...
- 06:57 Edgar House in Chester named Europe's most romantic hotel
- 06:55 Transfer News: Hart to Chelsea, Man Utd deal sanctioned, shock...
- 06:54 Horse riders say they’re dicing with death because of speeding drivers
- 06:54 Union claims South Tyneside schools face £4million-plus funding...
- 06:54 Motorists react with anger to advertising sign
- 06:53 Council planning notices
- 06:53 Woman pulled from house blaze in Northumberland
- 06:53 Tottenham eye international star... his agent was in London for talks
- 06:52 Update: Driver in 'serious condition' in hospital after crash on A50
- 06:50 Liverpool open talks with highly-rated playmaker: Jurgen Klopp's a...
- 06:50 Drink-driver claimed driving instructor told her she could have...
- 06:48 SAP nudges up multi-year outlook after posting in-line 2016 results
- 06:48 Flights cancelled at Heathrow for second day amid fog
- 06:45 Liam Kennedy’s match analysis: Wintery gloom lifted at the Vic as...