54% rise in unaccompanied asylum-seeking children being looked after in England
A total of 4,210 children claiming asylum in the UK were reported as being in the care of local authorities as of March 31 2016.
This was up 54% on the previous year, according to new figures from the Department for Education (DfE).
It is also the highest total since current records began in 2004.
Roughly nine in 10 of the children were male, while t hree in four were aged 16 or over.
The highest numbers were reported in areas where there are routes into the UK.
Some two-thirds of all unaccompanied asylum-seeking children were located in London and the South East, while a further 11% were... read more
- 09:12 Arsenal v Chelsea: Aaron Ramsey reveals Gunners' plan to keep Eden...
- 09:12 “I decided that MND was not going to dictate me, I was going to...
- 09:12 Purple Cupcakes' sweet taste of success
- 09:11 Bishop of Burnley decries 'attack on childhood'
- 09:11 Police ‘very concerned’ for Louth woman who has been missing for...
- 09:11 Ford gears up for Leeds gig
- 09:11 Scott McMann says staying up would mean everything to Hamilton's...
- 09:11 Airbus Helicopters starts construction of assembly line in China
- 09:11 Boxer Chloe Bodwick does late grandfather proud as she earns...
- 09:11 Two Blantyre tae kwon do students pass their black belt gradings
- 09:11 St Mary's take joint-first at Hamilton Baths Primary School...
- 09:10 Communal changing room proposed for Northampton swimming pool to...
- 09:10 Hebburn family backs hospice work
- 09:10 Son of one of South Shields’ greatest players dies days before...
- 09:10 DNA test led police to South Shields crash driver
- 09:10 Retired South Derbyshire cop has received Queens' Police Medal...
- 09:09 Rival Sunderland AFC and Newcastle United fans to stage match for...
- 09:09 Hundreds to attend Careers Fair in Sunderland
- 09:07 Tory Michael Fallon slates 'Jeremy Corbyn quote' live on air - then...
- 09:07 Man 'shouted racist slurs at young Muslim women' before killing two...
- 09:06 ‘Smart’ motorways show driver ignorance
- 09:06 ELECTION 2017: Lib Dem manifesto – who is it for exactly?
- 09:06 Bomb squad called to Burnley street
- 09:06 French Open preview: Who will shine in Serena Williams and Maria...
- 09:06 Lauder man accused of sexual assault
- 09:06 Remanded in custody
- 09:06 On the right tracks to promote county
- 09:06 Hopes Spilsby market can return to former glory
- 09:06 Peebles man assaulted partner
- 09:06 Warwickshire tourism given cash boost