£50m youth employment scheme in limbo leaving thousands waiting for support to find work
A £50 million scheme to create job opportunities for 16,000 young Brummies is being partially relaunched after the city council failed to appoint contractors to deliver it in many parts of the city.
The council’s much-heralded Youth Employment Initiative in the north, east and west of the city has been left in limbo after no organisations were appointed to run it. Only four contracts of 11 have been awarded - including those covering Solihull and south Birmingham.
It means the service is not available in the north, east or west of Birmingham - including areas with high youth unemployment... read more
- 13:34 Jack Rodwell exit would lift Sunderland fans’ perpetual Blue Mondays
- 13:34 Leeds news: Samuel Saiz donates £25,000 as club reach Toby Nye...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez to Man Utd: Arsenal star SAVAGED by legend ahead of...
- 13:34 Alexis Sanchez on brink of Man Utd move as shop prints No 7 shirts
- 13:34 What to do with your old £1 coins so you don't end up out of pocket
- 13:34 Seven million cars generate the same greenhouse gases as our...
- 13:34 Barnstorming laughs promised from rising comedy stars
- 13:34 From Nashville to Venice - enjoy musical contrasts
- 13:34 Masked thugs wielding crowbars attempt to rob cash-in-transit guard
- 13:32 Dylan Farrow claims Woody Allen sexual abuse claims are 'credible'
- 13:32 EastEnders spoilers: Tamzin Outhwaite talks Mel Owen’s exit as she...
- 13:31 Rutland County Council proposes 4.99 per cent council tax rise
- 13:30 Bride fears wedding is ruined after reception venue Park Hill Golf...
- 13:29 Most Americans think Trump’s first year was officially one...
- 13:29 UPDATED: IT system glitches prove costly for EMIS
- 13:29 Decision to implement new GP contract after strong backing from the...
- 13:29 Ceremony will mark milestone for Leeds cancer centre plans
- 13:28 Sir Tom Courtenay given freedom of city of Hull
- 13:28 District council leader answers questions on authority’s new HQ...
- 13:28 Margaret Thatcher set to lose out in Parliament Square statue battle
- 13:27 Turpin case: Parents of captive children due in court
- 13:26 Used car buyers offered new car-style low monthly payments as RAC...
- 13:26 Storm Fionn sparks flood warnings and there’s more snow on the way
- 13:25 Police hunt A590 robbers who tried to steal jewellery from a couple...
- 13:23 Ribbleton man's ultra marathon challenge for Hooves for Healing
- 13:22 Mesut Ozil set to snub Manchester United by signing new...
- 13:20 District council leader answers questions on authority’s new HQ...
- 13:20 Harrogate's health heroes: Meet the child therapists who change lives
- 13:20 Letter: Economy
- 13:19 Frank Fielding eyes double delight against former club Derby County