50,000 year-old artefacts provide the earliest evidence of Aboriginal occupation of the Australian coast
Archaeologists working in a remote cave have confirmed evidence that humans were living in Australia around 50,000 years ago.
Conservative estimates previously placed humans in the antipodean nation around 47,000 years ago.
The new findings push this back by at least 3,000 years and represent the earliest evidence ever found of occupation of the country's coastal region.
And researchers, who found evidence of the dietary habits of the early settlers in the country's coastal region, believe they may have been there even earlier.
Scroll down for video
BOODIE CAVE Scientists from the... read more
- 07:19 North Berwick tops list of Scotland’s most expensive seaside towns
- 07:19 Arsenal v Chelsea: Graeme Le Saux reveals FA Cup final prediction
- 07:19 The Kirk praised for helping tackle poverty and inequality by...
- 07:19 New poll showing Theresa May’s lead slipping will ‘focus minds’...
- 07:19 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:19 Police launch investigation into abuse of Conservative canvassers
- 07:19 Labour to tap into Obama campaign technology to target swing voters
- 07:19 Theresa May: Recruits returning from IS must be brought to justice
- 07:19 Constituency profile: Nationalists face Unionist challenge in ‘big...
- 07:19 Jeremy Corbyn accused of deflecting blame in terror speech
- 07:17 Greville Janner: Alleged victims of sexual abuse drop civil case
- 07:17 Restaurant review: Marco’s Italian, Leeds
- 07:17 Birdwatch: Red feet as the weather warms up
- 07:15 Burton Albion team to take on Football to Amsterdam 2017 challenge...
- 07:14 Monaco Grand Prix qualifying: Double winner reveals pole position...
- 07:14 Paper round-up: Arsene Wenger’s new two-year deal, Antonio Conte's...
- 07:13 Zinedine Zidane denied in pursuit of Bundesliga star for Real...
- 07:11 Five Manchester United players who Jose Mourinho should build his...
- 07:09 Mum’s the word
- 07:09 Gareth Shaw: Will Vanguard force fund managers to up their game?
- 07:09 Interview: Joe Thomas
- 07:07 Police forces will receive support from the strategic policing reserve
- 07:07 Allenton thug hit door with chair leg so hard it bounced back and...
- 07:06 North East armed police officer snapped blowing kisses after being...
- 07:06 Pam Duxbury: New Hartlepool United manager knows what it takes to...
- 07:05 15 things you can only relate to if you have a vagina
- 07:04 Review of Nibble in Hull: The hipster destination with a menu that...
- 07:04 Palestinian inmates in Israeli jails end hunger strike: Prison Service
- 07:04 Philippines' Duterte jokes about rape amid concern over martial law...
- 07:02 FARMING MATTERS: Farmers are at greater risk of skin cancer