£40m canal flood plan to help Glasgow expand
A pioneering scheme will combine cutting-edge technology with an 18th-century engineering feat to combat flooding and allow regeneration in one of the most rundown parts of Scotland’s biggest city.
The project will see the 250-year-old Forth and Clyde Canal used as part of a groundbreaking drainage network that will allow much-needed housing to be built on wasteland in the north of Glasgow.
Experts who came up with the concept believe utilising the canal to capture and remove surface water is a more cost-effective and sensitive solution than the conventional alternative, which would involve... read more
- 06:21 Wednesday briefing: 'Craven' UK bowing to China, says Patten
- 06:19 PlayStation Plus free games warning as fans wait for PS Plus July...
- 06:17 WIN: More £50 vouchers to be won for the White House pub
- 06:17 Hospital discharge delays ‘at lowest for a decade’
- 06:16 The Northumberland coast in a day
- 06:16 Pub the size of a 'living room' next to Nottingham Station gets go...
- 06:16 Wizard weekend was just magic
- 06:16 Post Lite delivery boy hangs up his bag - at the age of 74
- 06:16 Feast of food on offer at Taste of The North
- 06:15 Ellesmere Port to gain 150 freehold homes
- 06:14 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:14 The mystery of who killed 'Little Girl Blue' in Birmingham
- 06:14 Four homes could be built in Newborough, near Burton, as latest...
- 06:13 Current Premier League managers ranked by how long they've been at...
- 06:13 How Manchester United could look with Nemanja Matic
- 06:13 Breathing test aims to fight children’s risk of asthma attacks
- 06:12 Man Utd to sign Ethan Galbraith on three-year deal: Why? Who is he?...
- 06:12 Laurent Koscielny to leave Arsenal: AC Milan ready to test Gunners’...
- 06:12 Real Madrid want Leonardo Bonucci to replace Pepe, Chelsea also...
- 06:12 The compensation claims made for injuries at Northamptonshire...
- 06:12 How many people still watch black and white TV in Corby and Kettering?
- 06:12 SE Asia Stocks-Fall as Wall St hit by U.S. healthcare vote delay
- 06:12 Senior KGH midwife struck off for series of serious failings
- 06:12 Meeting being held about parking and traffic at Rushden Lakes
- 06:11 Oakwood travellers make life 'absolute nightmare' for residents
- 06:07 Jack Ross: Dundee was a ‘big thing to consider’
- 06:07 Coventry City miss out on Mansfield striker who opts to join...
- 06:05 Wimbledon using artificial intelligence to serve up enhanced...
- 06:01 The best TV of 2017 so far
- 06:00 Metro’s A to Z of fetishes: A is for armpits, amputees and watching...