250 years on, it's hard cheese for the Lord Mayor of Nottingham
It's the 250th anniversary of the Great Nottingham Cheese Riot and the Lord Mayor bravely re-enacted the role of his predecessor back in October 1766.
The mayor of the day was bowled off his feet when round truckles of cheese were rolled down Wheeler Gate as Goose Fair crowds rioted over the rising price of dairy produce.
Rolling the truckles in 2016 were brothers Webb and Rob Freckingham, proprietors of The Cheese Shop in Flying Horse Walk.
"Cheese is still very important and we are fortunate that nowadays it is affordable and that there is a great range to choose from," said... read more
- 13:59 King’s Cliffe author Nick has short story included in Twisted...
- 13:59 When is the American election? Trump and Clinton will go...
- 13:58 Debenhams sees annual profits tumble by a tenth
- 13:57 FTSE retreats, though robust results boost Barclays
- 13:57 A safe space from cyber pervs: Game creators invent a protective...
- 13:56 BREAKING: Five schools on LOCKDOWN after ‘malicious threat’ calls
- 13:55 PNE’s six of the worst
- 13:54 Caprice displays her killer curves and impressive cleavage in...
- 13:54 January Jones flashes sideboob in peachy jumpsuit as she leads...
- 13:54 'You trying to get robbed too?' Khloe Kardashian is SLAMMED by fans...
- 13:54 'I'm sure it is legitimate!': Benedict Cumberbatch quips Judge...
- 13:54 Real Housewives of Cheshire beauty Misse Beqiri stuns in silk slip...
- 13:54 'I'm sorry if I have upset anyone': TOWIE's Amber Dowding...
- 13:54 Coronation Street's Kym Marsh cradles her fake baby bump while...
- 13:53 Which Lincolnshire train company is worst for complaints?
- 13:52 Scottish NHS failing to keep up with rising demand, says watchdog
- 13:52 Pope Francis accepts church leaders' invitation to visit South Sudan
- 13:52 Nissan investment shows Brexit can work - but what did we offer in...
- 13:51 Gnashing of teeth
- 13:51 What do the latest GDP data say about the post-Brexit economy?
- 13:51 Liverpool star Loris Karius takes swipe at Man Utd and City over...
- 13:51 Night-time alerts 'target impulse buys'
- 13:51 Feed your foodie in holiday heaven
- 13:51 Invasion of alien ladybirds riddled with STDs that could kill off...
- 13:51 Hamburg gang rape teenagers' suspended sentences spark anger
- 13:49 Scottish pensioner, 92, who’s taking on Donald Trump
- 13:47 English petition to kick Scotland out of UK hijacked by Scots
- 13:47 Two in court on alleged burglary and wounding rap
- 13:46 Bid to stop thieves targeting paving flags
- 13:46 Stags players present pupils with awards