200% council tax plan to tackle Newport's empty homes
Plans to charge double the amount of council tax on long-term empty homes in Newport are being considered to try to tackle the issue of vacant properties.
Newport council claims they have a detrimental impact on communities and can cause problems for neighbours.
There are currently 2,516 vacant properties in the city, with 1,142 exempt from council tax because they are undergoing major work.
The council hopes the move will urge owners to bring them back into use.
Under the plans, the council would charge 200% council tax on properties which have been unoccupied and unfurnished for two years... read more
- 08:33 Traffic and travel news for South Cumbria - Wednesday October 26
- 08:33 FULL LIST: Sheffield 10k road closures
- 08:33 Clydesdale confirms Williams & Glyn offer
- 08:32 Traffic chaos as M180 roadworks closure continues into rush hour
- 08:31 Lloyds sets aside £1bn extra to cover PPI mis-selling
- 08:31 These scientific cocktails are actually amazing
- 08:30 Lucy Allan MP demands Telford child sex exploitation inquiry...
- 08:29 Do you know where Jordan could be?
- 08:29 Parents can be taught to help treat autism: Children show...
- 08:29 Three-car crash causes delays on M1
- 08:28 'The best leader Cumbria never had' - tributes pour into union man...
- 08:28 Hunt for Todmorden distraction burglar
- 08:27 Hundreds attend funeral of tragic tot Harlow Edwards who died after...
- 08:26 Balmy Britain in Autumnal bloom: Temperatures hit 16C ahead of next...
- 08:26 Is this the most beautiful drive in Europe? Stunning photos of...
- 08:26 From memory loss to temperatures below -50°C: Award-winning...
- 08:26 Paul Merson: Man United boss Jose Mourinho should drop Zlatan...
- 08:26 Andy Burnham to be challenged over 'Manchester trading on past...
- 08:22 Barrow hospital on a drive to get staff vaccinated against the flu
- 08:23 Paedophile who was almost murdered faces jail for child abuse
- 08:22 Charity sets up winter shelter to tackle homelessness in Barrow
- 08:22 Drive thru coffee restaurant plan for Barrow
- 08:22 Mental health services in Cumbria under scrutiny as shocking rates...
- 08:22 Nursing body refuses to release report into its handling of Barrow...
- 08:22 Man accused of assaulting member of staff at Barrow hospital to...
- 08:21 Draft plan for Melton’s future development to go to public...
- 08:20 How Manchester United should line up vs Man City in EFL Cup tie
- 08:20 Manchester United struggler Mkhitaryan 'facing Reds exit'
- 08:20 Majority don’t know lifestyle increases dementia risk
- 08:19 Women lawmakers face sexism, violence on job - report