1980s children half as wealthy by their early 30s as 70s counterparts, says IFS
People born in the 1980s are only half as well off as those born in the 1970s were at the same age, a new survey reveals.
By their early 30s, people born in the decade dominated by Margaret Thatcher have an average net household wealth of £27,000 per adult, including housing, financial, and private pension assets.
This compared with the £53,000 enjoyed by those born in the 1970s at the same stage in life, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).
The survey found that the children of the early 1980s find it much harder to build up wealth in housing and pensions as they age, and... read more
- 12:20 Union warns many Northampton schools still likely to contain asbestos
- 12:19 Viral infection versus bacterial infection - What is the difference?
- 12:17 Missing 17-year-old found ‘safe and well’
- 12:16 Actress Tracy Brabin takes Jo Cox’s Batley seat as ‘hate’...
- 12:16 Young actors win roles in Derby Theatre's Christmas show Alice In...
- 12:16 Readers outrage over uniformed veterans being 'discouraged' from...
- 12:14 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:14 Halloween 2016 is almost here - send us your Spooky Snaps
- 12:14 Roe-deer hunting on horseback with hounds booming in France
- 12:13 Latics guest columnist Adam Bogdan says determination will pay...
- 12:13 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:13 Internet romance scams: 'I realise was being groomed'
- 12:12 Disgraced footballer Adam Johnson slashes price of mansion
- 12:12 Migrant comments led to 'spanking', says BBC's Lineker, but won't...
- 12:12 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console
- 12:11 Gary Lineker hits back after calls for BBC to sack him from Match...
- 12:11 Steven Gerrard reveals just what it takes to be Liverpool captain
- 12:11 Man ‘discovers live maggots’ in porridge but only after he’d eaten...
- 12:11 Sustainability and transformation plans are 'least bad option' for NHS
- 12:10 Community hub plan finally making some progress after delay
- 12:10 Residents against parking proposal
- 12:10 Why leaves on the line might delay your train journey
- 12:10 Pub’s relaunch is out of the starting blocks with sports bar revamp
- 12:10 Watch incredible CCTV showing gang carrying out Mission Impossible...
- 12:09 Bear visitor captured on video by ex-pat Hartlepool man
- 12:09 Ruby the parrot stolen from her Hartlepool homw
- 12:09 Gary Lineker Twitter storm poll: Did Match of the Day host cross...
- 12:09 Hall Street homes plan rejected
- 12:09 Teen takes on 300km coast-to-coast challenge
- 12:09 Nintendo pins hopes of a return to greatness on new Switch console