1980s children half as wealthy by their early 30s as 70s counterparts, says IFS
People born in the 1980s are only half as well off as those born in the 1970s were at the same age, a new survey reveals.
By their early 30s, people born in the decade dominated by Margaret Thatcher have an average net household wealth of £27,000 per adult, including housing, financial, and private pension assets.
This compared with the £53,000 enjoyed by those born in the 1970s at the same stage in life, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).
The survey found that the children of the early 1980s find it much harder to build up wealth in housing and pensions as they age, and... read more
- 12:06 Nottingham Forest's current situation similar to Burton Albion at...
- 12:05 Something fishy going on at primary school
- 12:05 Charity farmers market helps out Egremont homeless hostel
- 12:05 Man who jumped into burning flat to save person following explosion...
- 12:05 Watch slow-mooooving traffic bring the M56 to a standstill
- 12:05 Seven properties to snap up at auction - including a stately home...
- 12:04 Confidence in police remains high - says latest report
- 12:04 Pensioner jailed for part in £2.2 million drug dealing ring smashed...
- 12:04 Watch: Fearless mayor takes to the skies in charity wing walk
- 12:04 Watch: Dramatic moment car turns into fireball underneath the M6
- 12:03 White Helmets' bikes to go under hammer in Sherborne
- 12:03 Empty Market Square shop to be taken on and given £60,000 facelift
- 12:03 Festive spotlight on Harrogate as Christmas Guide is launched
- 12:03 Saracens fly-half Alex Lozowski signs contract extension as he...
- 12:03 Bridget Phillipson MP: Supported housing needs better funding
- 12:03 Woman who breastfeed a puppy and ‘fertilised’ one of her eggs with...
- 12:03 Something fishy going on at primary school
- 12:03 Confidence in police remains high - says latest report
- 12:02 ‘Appointments as usual’ during ‘emergency situation’ at medical...
- 12:01 Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill banned from driving for 16...
- 12:01 Real Madrid star Gareth Bale could be in line for return to...
- 12:00 Man who sourced heroin in Barrow is jailed after £3.7k drugs stash...
- 12:00 Dewsbury Moor overcome Saints to set up Woolston play-off final
- 12:00 Barcelona sporting director scouts Anthony Martial during...
- 12:00 Opening date for South Shore supermarket
- 12:00 Manchester United and Tottenham interested in Polish wonderkid...
- 11:59 Chesterfield council tenants may have to change their own lightbulbs
- 11:59 SNP ‘can’t have cake and eat it’ over Barnett Formula
- 11:58 Widnes care home facing closure prospect blasted as 'inadequate'
- 11:57 University lecturers show ‘overwhelming support’ for going on...