1980s children half as wealthy by their early 30s as 70s counterparts, says IFS
People born in the 1980s are only half as well off as those born in the 1970s were at the same age, a new survey reveals.
By their early 30s, people born in the decade dominated by Margaret Thatcher have an average net household wealth of £27,000 per adult, including housing, financial, and private pension assets.
This compared with the £53,000 enjoyed by those born in the 1970s at the same stage in life, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS).
The survey found that the children of the early 1980s find it much harder to build up wealth in housing and pensions as they age, and... read more
- 11:04 PLEASE SHARE: Have you seen missing Worksop woman Anna Marie?
- 11:04 London Midland praised for improvements in customer service
- 11:03 Boys as well as girls should be told about the evils of FGM
- 11:03 Jose Mourinho provides Manchester United injury update ahead of...
- 11:03 Ander Herrera seen rousing Manchester United team-mates in tunnel...
- 11:02 Daring councillor’s 70ft charity plunge
- 11:02 Barcelona name just one Spaniard in starting XI for the first time...
- 11:02 Juventus star Dani Alves says he quit Barcelona because they were...
- 11:02 Zlatan Ibrahimovic must love playing with Paul Pogba and Chelsea...
- 11:02 Pervert police officer sacked after being caught with indecent...
- 11:02 Sheffield City Region leaders unite to tackle inequality and boost...
- 11:02 South Yorkshire farmer’s live lamb cam is an internet hit
- 11:02 FTSE steadies after setting one-month high, Unilever slumps
- 11:02 VIDEO: Family of Sheffield man shot dead say 'We are all grieving'
- 11:02 Global airlines see Doncaster Sheffield airport in new light
- 11:02 Chinese news agency warns South Korea's Lotte over THAAD
- 11:01 Lindley hair salon fire: Two arrested on suspicion of wounding with...
- 11:00 Hartlepool Marina lock emptied for first time in more than 20 years
- 11:00 Another major deal for Hartlepool company
- 11:00 Appeal for witnesses after burglary in Northamptonshire village
- 11:00 Piers Morgan for KNIGHTHOOD? Fans make huge demands as host...
- 11:00 Warning to parents over highly infectious bug sweeping UK schools
- 11:00 London Midland praised for improvements in customer service
- 11:00 Police want to speak to this man about bank card stolen in Corby
- 11:00 UNITARY AUTHORITY: Labour calls for ‘end to shambles’
- 10:59 Police want to speak to this man about bank card stolen in Corby
- 10:59 CH1ChesterBID Welcome Ambassador Luka Jake Morrell: A Day in the Life
- 10:59 Warning to parents over highly infectious bug sweeping UK schools
- 10:59 Sir Tom Jones to perform summer concerts and here's how to get tickets
- 10:58 Gang of beggers pictured getting out of Romanian registered car...