19-year-old Northumbria University 'fresher' student killed by meningitis bug
A 19 year old fresher student from Northumbria University has died after contracting meningitis.
The girl had only just started at the Newcastle-based university when the killer condition claimed her life.
Students in the North East are today being urged to get vaccinated against the deadly strain of the disease.
The Chronicle understands that a 19-year-old girl, whose name has not been released, died after suffering from meningococcal meningitis (group W) earlier this month.
The tragedy comes as thousands of students return to the city to begin the new university term.
Public Health... read more
- 06:03 Have you been affected by Thameslink timetable changes?
- 06:03 Liverpool and Arsenal suffer setback as transfer target ‘agrees...
- 06:01 Remote St Helena island welcomes first flight
- 05:50 Exercising regularly 'can keep heart and arteries young'
- 05:46 Cristiano Ronaldo: Liverpool hero Graeme Souness makes HUGE claim...
- 05:41 Atletico Madrid eye Leicester star Jamie Vardy as Antoine Griezmann...
- 05:41 Manchester United star Paul Pogba says he is OPEN to future PSG...
- 05:41 Why 'small mistake' on visa means dad is stuck in Pakistan on...
- 05:39 Charity wants parking ban outside schools
- 05:37 Stephen Curry dazzles as Warriors crush Rockets in Game 3 of NBA...
- 05:34 Support for Brexit falls sharply in Northern Ireland
- 05:34 Famous Coventry store to be demolished for two high-rise apartment...
- 05:29 Businesses compete in the Birmingham Post’s golf day
- 05:29 Region's top civil engineers recognised in annual awards
- 05:18 EU blocking cities' efforts to curb Airbnb, say campaigners
- 05:17 Texas school shooting victim turned down 'aggressive advances' of...
- 05:10 Land deal paves way for new railway park and ride
- 05:04 Birmingham City star eyed by Leeds United as Garry Monk issues...
- 05:04 Wolves target drops huge transfer hint as 12 depart Molineux
- 05:04 Aston Villa linked with four as summer transfer plans begin to take...
- 05:04 West Brom could face defensive exodus as Darren Moore discusses...
- 04:48 Pundits heap praise on Coventry City as Sky Blues star's injury...
- 04:36 MP blames Pacific 'failed states' for New Zealand's drug problems
- 04:19 Venezuela elections: Nicolás Maduro wins second term
- 04:14 AGL rejects Alinta's bid for Liddell power plant, confirming its...
- 03:40 Westworld recap: season 2, episode 5 – Maeve the merciful
- 03:40 UK must counter 'threats' in space - Williamson
- 03:21 Why the dad bod has to go for the sake of my daughter
- 03:19 'Sharenting' puts young at risk of online fraud
- 03:06 Girl loses fingers in school art lesson