183-year-old Carlisle sawmill set to shut down
A sawmill in Carlisle is to close after 183 years. Alexander Sawmills The Alexandra Sawmills Ltd on Byron Street, off Caldewgate, will shut on Wednesday with the loss of 11 jobs, the News & Star understands.
The sawmill was founded in 1830 by the late Robert Creighton - a former mayor and freeman of the city - in the name of R and JR Creighton Ltd (Alexandra Steam Sawmills).
It is understood that many of the current employees have worked for the firm for more than 20 years.
Those who live and work in Caldewgate say they are disappointed to hear of the closure, the reasons for which are... read more
- 18:11 Police watchdog apologises after 'racist abuse' case collapses
- 18:09 Tourist left fighting for life - in fall sparked by fear of MOTHS
- 18:09 European shares rise helped by good earnings; Deutsche Bank slips
- 18:08 Two arrested after man suffers life threatening injuries in 'acid...
- 18:08 Scientists sniff out new antibiotic - inside the human nose
- 18:07 How to keep your cool behind the wheel this summer
- 18:07 Police watchdog apologises after 'racist abuse' case collapses
- 18:07 Fridge Raiders recalled after complaints of plastic found in them
- 18:06 Landmark hotel to shut in August
- 18:06 New vision for ‘ugly’ clearance site
- 18:06 Little Eyvie 's big chop for Little Princess Trust
- 18:05 Police watchdog apologises after 'racist abuse' case collapses
- 18:04 Indonesia to execute 14 drug convicts despite protests
- 18:03 Police watchdog apologises after 'racist abuse' case collapses
- 18:03 Award-winning family business Premier Food & Wine hand over keys to...
- 18:02 Pogba would be a star at Manchester United says Ben Arfa
- 18:02 Manchester drugs mule jailed for Barrow supply
- 18:02 Zimbabwe President Mugabe warns dissenting war veterans
- 18:02 VIDEO: ‘Don’t approach Marham abduction suspects if you see them’ -...
- 18:00 Mummified body found in tent in woods
- 17:59 Manchester City keep tabs on Bonucci as they look to seal deal for...
- 17:59 Labour leadership: Owen Smith attempts to woo Jeremy Corbyn backers
- 17:58 Steve Finn and Jake Ball fight for England spot in third Test after...
- 17:58 Funktion Fitness gym members 'unlikely' to get money back
- 17:56 Film star Warwick Davis answers Harry Potter questions at Burghley...
- 17:56 Nursery arson attack ‘close to disaster’
- 17:54 Chelsea make improved £38m bid for Napoli defender Kalidou...
- 17:53 It was worth it! Cheryl and fellow Geordies help scientific...
- 17:53 Race abuse case against three Met police officers collapses
- 17:52 Police watchdog apologises after 'racist abuse' case collapses