150 peace activists killed by Nigerian security forces claim Amnesty International
Amnesty International accused Nigerian security forces today of killing at least 150 peaceful advocates of Biafra's secession from Africa's most populous nation, but the military and police dismissed the allegations.
An army spokesman said Amnesty's statement, the latest in a series of allegations of impropriety levelled against Nigeria's military in the last year, aimed to tarnish the security forces' reputation.
The police said they did not attack people holding demonstrations.
Amnesty said the military fired live ammunition, with little or no warning, to disperse members of the... read more
- 11:50 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:49 How to get rid of BAD BREATH: These foods could cause bad oral hygiene
- 11:49 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:48 Recruitment roadshow for aspiring teachers set to come to Coventry...
- 11:47 Leeds pensioners die after crash in the Dales
- 11:47 Road hogs are clogging up motorway’s middle lane
- 11:47 Labour leader says Party refused Kezia Dugdale permission to go on...
- 11:47 North Sea oil industry could be boosted by change in Budget
- 11:46 Fuel prices are slashed at Morrisons
- 11:46 Name released of man, 52, killed in crash as coroner prepares to...
- 11:46 Berwick victory sees them climb to third
- 11:46 Everton FC striker Oumar Niasse on the penalty decision that...
- 11:45 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United line up £40m move for Danny Rose,...
- 11:44 Man kicks off after chippy staff pour gravy on his chips in Manchester
- 11:44 Alcester firm is region’s top exporter
- 11:44 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:44 Popular Doncaster pub closes down for refurbishment amid Facebook...
- 11:43 Charles Bronson's new wife defends controversial wedding as she...
- 11:43 Man in serious condition after Scarborough assault
- 11:43 Carlisle's city centre Argos to close
- 11:43 Weather warning of rain issued for Cumbria
- 11:43 Buchanan insists Cobblers confidence remains high despite...
- 11:42 Hepatitis A vaccinations at nursery after child contracts illness
- 11:42 Why Black Friday ‘deals’ aren't always what they seem
- 11:42 ‘Step in, pause, and fix Universal Credit’, Batley and Spen MP...
- 11:42 Delays on M53 near Chester after skip wagon sheds load
- 11:42 Update: Man charged with Knightcote murder
- 11:41 What is the law on smacking children in Derby as Wales moves...
- 11:41 Liverpool's 'cheeriest' homeless person has put his Christmas...
- 11:41 240,000 flock to Durham’s Lumiere spectacular