15,000 apply for jobs driving East Coast Virgin Trains
More than 15,000 people have applied for 78 jobs driving new trains being launched by Virgin.
The company said there were almost 200 applications for every vacancy following the biggest recruitment campaign on the East Coast route since the 1980s.
The new drivers will work on new Azuma trains, built in the UK by Hitachi, which are being launched in 2018.
DOWNLOAD THE EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY
The successful candidates, who will work from depots from London to Edinburgh, are due to start a year-long training programme in January.
A spokesman for Virgin Trains said:... read more
- 06:59 Vile rapist brought to justice after brutal rape of drunk woman in...
- 06:59 Ned caged for hurling brick through woman's window after she...
- 06:59 Wishaw stalker woman who sent revenge sex pic in bid to get back at...
- 06:59 Sexist Tory councillor busted parking posh Mercedes in disabled bay
- 06:59 Monk who belted boy so badly that he bled found guilty
- 06:59 David Murray's team spent 'nothing' doing checks on Craig Whyte...
- 06:58 Old pals mark Dementia Awareness week with touching tales of...
- 06:57 Amazing £1.2m house in Epperstone offers a taste of granduer
- 06:57 Who was caught drink-driving?
- 06:54 Chelsea News: Antonio Conte reveals his celebration plans if Blues...
- 06:53 Guides join project to be a force for good
- 06:52 Port Vale make offers for two players as Michael Brown shapes new...
- 06:52 Stoke midfield favourite Glenn Whelan ready to fight to keep place
- 06:51 Speeding motorists to be targeted in Raunds
- 06:51 Former teaching assistant who tried to trick boys into sending...
- 06:51 Kettering paedophile watched videos of children performing sex acts...
- 06:51 Liverpool considering huge transfer to replace Barcelona-bound...
- 06:45 Zbigniew Brzezinski, Carter's national security adviser, dies at 89
- 06:44 Lucky to have so much on our doorstep in Burton and South...
- 06:43 Lionel Messi fuming with Barcelona over transfer blunder
- 06:41 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Sibsey pupils’ cultural lesson
- 06:41 Are you unknowingly breaking the law on the road?
- 06:41 On the right tracks to promote county
- 06:39 Sicily is third stop on European tour
- 06:39 Northumberland Tourism Awards: Making a splash with sponsorship
- 06:39 Popular police officer retires after 30 years
- 06:38 Beauty clinic plan for former Derby care home gets the go-ahead
- 06:37 Hull KR's Shaun Lunt – I've absolutely loved it this season, I...
- 06:34 7 reasons the Isle Of Wight is a great place to live
- 06:34 Police link burglaries in Spalding and Pinchbeck