15,000 apply for 78 jobs driving new Virgin trains
More than 15,000 people have applied for 78 jobs driving new trains being launched by Virgin.
The company said there were almost 200 applications for every vacancy following the biggest recruitment campaign on the East Coast route since the 1980s.
The new drivers will work on new Azuma trains, built in the UK by Hitachi, which are being launched in 2018.
The successful candidates, who will work from depots from London to Edinburgh, are due to start a year-long training programme in January.
A spokesman for Virgin Trains said: "The Talent team are working hard to process and update all... read more
- 00:06 Paul Merton: 'I've always been obsessed with The Beatles!'
- 00:06 EastEnders spoilers: Mick Carter showdown with Whitney REVEALED...
- 00:05 China says it WON'T mine Antarctica but hints at 'peaceful...
- 00:05 Climate change is making Lake Tahoe's crystal clear lakes murky,...
- 00:05 Microsoft reveals holographic display so small it can give ANY pair...
- 00:05 The drone that could change film forever: MIT reveals AI flying...
- 00:05 The 'megadonut' formed when planets collide: Astronomers reveal new...
- 00:05 Another PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Scorpio title skipping Nintendo...
- 00:05 Beware of the BOBCAT: Experts say thriving populations are set to...
- 00:05 Justice League director Zack Snyder STEPS DOWN after tragic news -...
- 00:04 Police say a 'number of confirmed fatalities' after Several people...
- 00:04 Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Sadio Mane, Leroy Sane and co do battle as...
- 00:03 Manchester Arena incident: Police alert as reports of 'explosion'...
- 00:03 Manchester Arena explosion: Police confirm 'number of people killed'
- 00:01 Players’ union furious with plans to extend the season
- 00:01 Victor Jara’s dream lives on in west Wales festival
- 00:01 Album reviews
- 00:01 A feminist call to arms
- 00:01 Moyes quits Sunderland after club’s relegation
- 00:01 Stokes would miss final again to be with Lions
- 00:01 Cricket: Taylor’s inclusion a boost for England
- 00:01 Battleground Britain: Labour on the doorsteps
- 00:01 Political fracturing north of the border
- 00:01 Layers of sound create a very special message
- 00:01 U-turn shows May is rattled
- 00:01 Campaigners voice their opposition to US bid to cut off finance to...
- 00:01 North Korea: Pyongyang ‘ready to mass-produce missiles’
- 00:01 Philippines: Loose cannon Duterte fires off at West’s ‘double talk’
- 00:01 Equity: Insurance for dancers has to be better, union agrees
- 00:01 Racist thug jailed for kicking pregnant Muslim in stomach