100 shop staff abused or attacked every day
NEW guidelines on protecting shopworkers have been issued after 36,000 fell victim to violence or abuse last year.
The British Retail Consortium (BRC) survey also found crime cost businesses £511 million in 2012-13.
The BRC said this poses an “unacceptable threat to the health and wellbeing” of three million UK shopworkers.
Businesses now face the threat of unlimited fines, remedial orders and publicity orders if they fail to follow guidelines.
The new approach has been welcomed by the Scottish Retail Consortium (SRC), which speaks for almost 10 per cent of businesses and 235,000 workers... read more
- 00:33 Mystery 'explosion' heard across large parts of Doncaster
- 00:32 Why this India priest carried an 'untouchable' into a temple
- 00:30 Steven Pienaar sees Football Welcomes as great way to bring people...
- 00:29 Europe migrants: Austria to seize migrants' phones in asylum clampdown
- 00:27 The Amazon’s solar-powered river bus
- 00:25 Five ways China's past has shaped its present
- 00:24 Fenerbahce vs Besiktas Turkish Cup semi-final second leg abandoned...
- 00:23 EU divorce bill could be higher than £39 billion
- 00:23 Scientists discover how to bend DIAMOND in 'surprising'...
- 00:23 350-year-old mystery of the world's best preserved dodo specimen is...
- 00:23 Facebook job postings reveal the firm is looking for chip designers...
- 00:22 Mark Hughes insists Southampton need to start taking risks to avoid...
- 00:18 Cancer: Is it a good move to ditch Dr Google?
- 00:18 Mel Giedroyc: From The Generation Game to Shakespeare's Beatrice
- 00:18 London Marathon: Hero helper and runner will start together
- 00:15 Emmerdale spoilers: Is Belle Dingle ill again as Lachlan’s fears grow?
- 00:15 Paul Hollywood’s 22-year-old lover defends 30-year age gap
- 00:12 Ian Maxwell in pole position to become new £300k-a-year SFA chief...
- 00:12 Too stoned? Here’s what you can do to make yourself feel better
- 00:11 Brexit divorce bill will surpass £39bn, warns Whitehall watchdog
- 00:10 Lake District award challenges people to explore wild spaces
- 00:07 Brexit divorce cost uncertain, say auditors
- 00:02 Neil Lennon has his sights set on Kenny Miller move this summer
- 23:59 Arsenal to subsidise tickets for Europa League semi-final after...
- 23:58 Banking royal commission: all you need to know – so far
- 23:53 Eden Hazard to be offered Real Madrid transfer move if Zinedine...
- 23:52 Neymar reveals new tattoo of his mum as he continues to recover...
- 23:49 Mystery 'explosion' heard across large parts of Doncaster
- 23:49 Declan Donnelly ‘most likely to have his nude pictures leaked’ says...
- 23:49 David Walliams admits he ‘always worried’ about Dale Winton as ‘his...